Corner fan soot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
im going to be taking a better look at the draft of my wood insert this season. I’ve got just under the recommended height of 15 ft specified by manufacturer (Jotul Rockland). I have noticed some smoke spillage more often than I’d like. This has improved slightly since I had liner insulated. Once door closed the insert actually runs hot and no performance problem seems to exist.
I think I’ve been reloading stove too early over the years and perhaps be more patient will reduce the spliiage. I keep a pretty clean hearth area but I wonder how much the blowers may be pulling in stuff I can’t see and then blowing stuff into room. I’ve noticed that my small corner fan in doorway accumulates a thin layer of dark soot on the blades by end of season. Do other folks see this with their setups?