Corona Virus

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The cdc recommends double gloving in the OR as standard practice. There is A documented failure rate of up to 84% for surgeons.

Earlier you said that double gloving is not recommended by the CDC.

"So why are they double gloving and double gowning which are both directly against CDC recommendations. "

Now you are saying the CDC recommends double gloving in the OR, which is it?

Just heard (from a dollar store employee)all dollar store trucks to our town stopped running. That makes no sense. The surest way to cause widespread panic is to let all the shelves go bare at the local supply houses. One on my tenants telling me they are hoarding bottled water so i offered to give them a brita pitcher for tap water ,our local water supply is quite pristine. (other then the chlorine which is removed by the pitcher)

Last edited:
Just heard (from a dollar store employee)all dollar store trucks to our town stopped running. That makes no sense. The surest way to cause widespread panic is to let all the shelves go bare at the local supply houses. One on my tenants telling me they are hoarding bottled water so i offered to give them a brita pitcher for tap water ,our local water supply is quite pristine.

I truly do not understand peoples fear of running out of water due to this virus.

Earlier you said that double gloving is not recommended by the CDC.

"So why are they double gloving and double gowning which are both directly against CDC recommendations. "

Now you are saying the CDC recommends double gloving in the OR, which is it?

The OR recommendations have been around for a long time. Nothing to do with Coronavirus.

It’s pretty safe to assume this will be the same.
It's not SAFE to assume anything. FFS, it's why we're in this situation to begin with.

Reactions: SpaceBus

I absolutely understand the fear of running out of TP. Go look at the shelves, they are empty, you can't buy it. That is real scarcity and the hoarders are now glad they hoarded.

Why the run on TP in the first place that caused the real scarcity for the rest of us? That's the question.

Water is totally different. Like many folks I don't use bottled water. It is not a staple.

Reactions: SpaceBus and Ashful
I absolutely understand the fear of running out of TP. Go look at the shelves, they are empty, you can't buy it. That is real scarcity
Perhaps in the future people will buy more than 1 roll at a time. Im not a doomsdayer but usually have a 30 day supply or more of everything except beer . A 90 day supply of that seems more appropriate. Ordering now.

Im not a doomsdayer but usually have a 30 day supply or more of everything except beer

Here's the failure in that. This "issue" has now lasted almost 30 days and is expected to keep going. You now need to go restock. Can't do it so you are hosed. Maybe you'll need to be hosed since you ran out of TP!

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
Reactions: Highbeam
It's not SAFE to assume anything. FFS, it's why we're in this situation to begin with.
We have a long way to go to equal 80 million plus infected with over 12,000 deaths back in 2009.

Calm down, be proactive with your life how you see fit, and go on.

I’m not buying into the fear side of it and I’m one that will be on the very front line of this. I’ve been getting my ass kicked already with 911 calls because of it. The general population is being stupid, the media is being stupid, the experts in the media are paid to sensationalize this, the government is overreaching and overreacting.

Italy’s population, before you mention it, is 18 years older and the average age of death is 80.2. This is expected and will continue. They have nowhere the ability of healthcare we have in the US with beds and hospitals.

Ive worked in healthcare for 25 years plus now, same with my NP wife. We are not going to make huge changes because we understand what this is. This isn’t close to the first Pandemic either on of us has worked through. This is not the first Coronavirus to come out of the region. We will get through this.

Here is one for all of you guys. There is now a link between COVID-19 and an autoimmune response called a Cytokine Storm. This is now believed to be brought on by Steroids and NSAIDS, Motrin and Aleve for non medical types.

So in the last few days we have found we are actually killing pts by using the very treatments that have been standbys for decades. Fevers are controlled by alternating an antipyretic, Tylenol, and NSAID and pneumonia is treated with heavy doses of steroids.

If you get a fever stick with Tylenol and if your on a low dose steroid for allergies or asthma speak with your dr on possible different treatments.

Reactions: vinny11950
WOW! Cash for everyone except us poor sole props, no employees, on our own, no one wants to call, afraid because of bullshiiiiiet
When I mentioned the government is overreaching I am directly referring to the small business owners like you that will be destroyed through this. The only silver lining I have is as a Paramedic my job will never be closed. In fact we are trying to build reciprocal agreements with neighboring agencies that very well could have me working 7 days a week at one point to keep the essential bare bones running.

WOW! Cash for everyone except us poor sole props, no employees, on our own, no one wants to call, afraid because of bullshiiiiiet
I rely mostly on day labor, which i have a hard time getting to show up even when they are flat broke. Once they have $1000 in their pocket ill be doing everything myself for awhile. Some, when offered work, ask for loans instead. If the idea is for everyone to stay home, that will do it.

Haven't seen a day laborer yet that can fix a Sub Zero, if you're close enough to Flemington come get em, they're standing in front of Steves
Most of mine are my tenants working off the rent or house pmts , people im trying to help, also my teenage kids. People i know. Picking up people from street corners is not something i would consider even under normal circumstances.Most especially with rabid virus on the loose.

Last edited:
the active ingredients of most generic drugs come from China and India, including 84% of the world's supply of acetaminophen (Tylenol )

We allowed that to happen and now we get to pay for that stupidity. Hopefully, when this current cycle subsides, this country as a whole, rethinks those bad logistical decisions.

Here is one for all of you guys. There is now a link between COVID-19 and an autoimmune response called a Cytokine Storm. This is now believed to be brought on by Steroids and NSAIDS, Motrin and Aleve for non medical types.

So in the last few days we have found we are actually killing pts by using the very treatments that have been standbys for decades. Fevers are controlled by alternating an antipyretic, Tylenol, and NSAID and pneumonia is treated with heavy doses of steroids.

If you get a fever stick with Tylenol and if your on a low dose steroid for allergies or asthma speak with your dr on possible different treatments.
French health minister scolded the British NHS minister for suggesting nsaids.

My son's GF is sick. Told them last night to avoid ibuprofen and stick with acetaminophen. Hope she is ok, waiting for phone diagnosis from the hospital. This is getting close, quickly.

French health minister scolded the British NHS minister for suggesting nsaids.

My son's GF is sick. Told them last night to avoid ibuprofen and stick with acetaminophen. Hope she is ok, waiting for phone diagnosis from the hospital. This is getting close, quickly.

Way more pronounced in the east and west coasts than here in the Midwest states, in fact West Virginia has no confirmed cases yet. I suspect that will all change quickly.

I'm not scared, just apprehensive. Having gone through what I went through last year (cancer) and given a 30% chance to survive, I'm not afraid to face death again. I've stared it right in the face once and cheated it but I don't know what my chances are of beating it again.

This is nothing to take lightly, unlike some people think. This is a killer virus. I realize the common flu kills thousands every year but there is no vaccine, only making a person comfortable and supplying meds that will 'alleviate' but but won't 'cure' it.

Keep us informed about your son's GF. I don't like to see anyone have to deal with it. I'd prefer this to be a bad dream and wake up from it.

I think we will see much mire serious restrictions placed on the population as well. It seems like voluntary compliance with suggested disciplines is falling on deaf ears so the government will go from voluntary compliance to mandatory. In fact it has already started here (Michigan) and Ohio. I understand what the government is trying to accomplish. Flattening the curve of infected people will allow health care facilities to deal with it. If it gets out of hand, we will wind up like China with sick people in hallways or worse. Not good any which way but I understand with the government is looking at perfectly.

Way more pronounced in the east and west coasts than here in the Midwest states, in fact West Virginia has no confirmed cases yet. I suspect that will all change quickly.

I'm not scared, just apprehensive. Having gone through what I went through last year (cancer) and given a 30% chance to survive, I'm not afraid to face death again. I've stared it right in the face once and cheated it but I don't know what my chances are of beating it again.

This is nothing to take lightly, unlike some people think. This is a killer virus. I realize the common flu kills thousands every year but there is no vaccine, only making a person comfortable and supplying meds that will 'alleviate' but but won't 'cure' it.

Keep us informed about your son's GF. I don't like to see anyone have to deal with it. I'd prefer this to be a bad dream and wake up from it.

I think we will see much mire serious restrictions placed on the population as well. It seems like voluntary compliance with suggested disciplines is falling on deaf ears so the government will go from voluntary compliance to mandatory. In fact it has already started here (Michigan) and Ohio. I understand what the government is trying to accomplish. Flattening the curve of infected people will allow health care facilities to deal with it. If it gets out of hand, we will wind up like China with sick people in hallways or worse. Not good any which way but I understand with the government is looking at perfectly.
you are one correct in the desire to respect this. You can only tell death to f*#k off so many times.

The restrictions on establishments are already being ignored in my area of Indiana and police have already said they have no authority to do anything about it. I think most of us feel that way here.

In the end I’m a believer it’s your call to do what you feel you need to. Right now I am trying to decide the best way to protect my kids. I may have to get drastic and I already ran a jackass off my property today selling chit. I’m not worried but, I’m also not stupid.

Like you I’ve flipped death off many times and I’m running out of chances.

The best thing we can do is not contribute to the spread. Avoiding gatherings is not just to protect yourself, but everyone else. What happened yesterday at the airports is horrific. Most likely the close quartering of hundreds of people has inoculated many.

Local grocery stores are asking that only one person do the shopping. Don't bring the family or mate.

GF is heading to the ER, they are not waiting for test results. Son now is masked and considered contagious. This stuff is getting real, fast.

Last edited:
Reactions: bfitz3
The wife went to town for milk! Of the 4 stores in town, no one had any
That is crazy, why hoard milk it's not like it has a long shelf life.
Call a friend who has Jersy cattle. he gave me 2 fresh cows for a side of beef
looks like we are back to bartering again
Been a while since I hand-milked cows kind of feels good and My Lord fresh cream for my coffee

Status
Not open for further replies.