Corona Virus

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the same sentiments, to many people out and about during this time of needing isolation, I don't have a choice so I have to be out, you would be amazed at all the traffic out on the roads, so many people just driving around, going from here to there, I personally think we're screwed in the coming weeks, people just don't know what it means to isolate.

I see a lot of people out and about as well, and one of them would be me. I'm delivering food to family members that are sick, old or self quarantined. Also you be very surprised at the number of people it takes to keep a hospital running, if you have a large ones in your area. So are there people that are out, and shouldn't be, yes. But some are working at critical jobs just like you. In our area alone, we have St. Joes, University of Michigan, Providence Hospital, Henry Ford Hospital, Ascension Genesys Hospital and others, not including Dr's offices.

Reactions: CenterTree
I assume my job is essential. I work for the street and water services. Missouri citizens havent been made to stay home for two weeks like a lot of other areas but most cities are enacting bans of gatherings of 50 or more and some 10 or more. It's very unorganized really and I can't see how it will make an impact until more stringent measures are put in place. Here they have closed schools until the first of april....but many daycares are still open so it seems to defeat the purpose. Meanwhile the covid 19 cases nearly doubled here overnight and the first death was in Columbia I believe two days ago. It's kind of like go at your own risk mentality really.

That's weird. Here Flemington is deserted except for the day laborers at Steve's and the roads are free of traffic. Most stores are closed.
To me it seems so simple (if not easy) to JUST STAY HOME.

I get it if you need to work. If you need groceries. If you need medical care. If you need to take supplies to an elder person, etc.
Other than those, STAY HOME ! ;ex

We cannot stop this virus, but WE CAN SLOW IT and give our health care workers a chance to help us and those in need.
But we need to help ourselves first, by staying away from others for the time being.

Kids are off school and yet yesterday evening on the way home from work,
I saw about a DOZEN or more teenagers playing basketball.:eek:

It's kind of like go at your own risk mentality really.
Yeah, and the worst part of that is it is NOT "your own risk". It is the risk of OTHERS in society.
I think people forget that they can be CARRIERS of this bug even if they don't care if they get it themselves.:(

I'm going to spend my time in quarantine learning how to make traps and tools to eat local wildlife.
My hunting buddy makes excellent tree rat stew. If anyone wants the recipe, I'll be happy to post it up.... :)

And this! There is a reason Governors are freaking out.

Personally, I don't buy into prediction charts. Their just that, predictions. I buy into hard real time data and that isn't. All that is, is fear mongering If you buy into the 'sky is falling scenario', you become part of the problem. not the solution.

Last time I looked, the sky is still up there...

Reactions: WinterinWI
My hunting buddy makes excellent tree rat stew. If anyone wants the recipe, I'll be happy to post it up.... :)
;lol;lol I gotta wonder if now is the best time to be talking about eating uncommon, wild animals.:eek:

Reactions: Sawset
Personally, I don't buy into prediction charts. Their just that, predictions. I buy into hard real time data and that isn't. All that is, is fear mongering If you buy into the 'sky is falling scenario', you become part of the problem. not the solution.

Yeah, as my pap used to say...
" If you spend all your time looking up to see if the sky is falling, some bird is gonna $hit in your eye". ;lol

Reactions: Ashful
Yeah, and the worst part of that is it is NOT "your own risk". It is the risk of OTHERS in society.
I think people forget that they can be CARRIERS of this bug even if they don't care if they get it themselves.:(

This is what we had a hard time explaining to our daughter when she asked why they cancelled school, why she couldn't have friends over/go to their houses.

It's easy to explain but a hard concept for 12 year old to grasp.

I just got furloughed for 2 weeks, a few weeks out from now. I expect even companies that are deemed "essential" will do things like furloughing to get by.

Reactions: SpaceBus
it may hurt while watching your portfolio plummet
Looks like that dead cat's not even gonna bounce, it'll just become a large, thin spot on the pavement. <>
A local whiskey maker stepping up as well.
Uh oh, forgot to have my wife check how the bourbon stocks when she went to the store the other day. That supply chain should hold up, though.. ==c
It's kind of like go at your own risk mentality really.
Even those that aren't that worried about it because they are healthy might regret taking it so lightly; I'm hearing that it'll kick yo' ass for a couple of weeks. ;sick And they haven't fully accounted for the devastating effects on the economy that will certainly affect them in the near future.
Personally, I don't buy into prediction charts...I buy into hard real time data and that isn't. All that is, is fear mongering...
If you look at these charts plotting its progression so far, it's pretty easy to see where it's all going. Good luck with your optimism, but I think you'll be disappointed shortly.."the sky" is where these curves are heading. <>

Reactions: AlbergSteve
My wife was told to go home so as not to come in contact with
anyone who may be infected (Banker full salary ) because I had an operation 2 weeks ago
so I am at risk. Number one son retail (Bell Canada) full salary and his commission
average over 2 years per week. Number two son HVAC( heating ventilation and air conditioning)
Stay home emergency call-outs only full pay. Around here employers are looking after there employees
and their families

Reactions: begreen
Do you have a way to make toilet tissue? My wife went to the store yesterday, and there were empty sections in every aisle. No TP left, and we're down to two rolls. Luckily, they are substantial two-ply rolls. ;lol We have some nice, big Sycamore leaves in the woods, but they are getting a bit crusty now, since they've been lying there since last fall. <> ;lol
Can’t make toilet paper but can make a redneck bidet out of a garden hose. Better than nothing and quite invigorating!

Take 5 minutes to read through this posting. It explains how this is based on hard data and not speculation.

And then there is the simple fact of how woefully unprepared we are. One doesn't need tea leaves to see how this is evolving.

Last edited:
Rumor has it the national guard has been deployed to the Washington County fairgrounds in WI. We are in decent shape at my house foodwise and have 7 rolls of TP yet in the closet which is several weeks worth, but I hope to procure some more before it runs out so we don't have to resort to leaves and pinecones.

Milk is a staple here, but not "necessary". We can survive on water. Freezer is full, plenty of sugar and flour if I had to make bread, still in observation and isolation mode as much as possible. Hoping it doesn't become any more panic driven... I should probably get more gas for the generator...

Keep it level folks and be safe!

I just got furloughed for 2 weeks, a few weeks out from now. I expect even companies that are deemed "essential" will do things like furloughing to get by.
I farm, I'm on self imposed winter lay off.

;lol;lol I gotta wonder if now is the best time to be talking about eating uncommon, wild animals.:eek:

I don't consider tree rats uncommon and we do cook them well.... Now snakes, bats and etc, nope.

I'd eat snake, or gator, or just about anything else... It all tastes like chicken, right?==c Just need the colonel's secret blend... I hope the processor calls saying my other 2 deer are ready for pickup soon!

I'd eat snake, or gator, or just about anything else... It all tastes like chicken, right?==c Just need the colonel's secret blend... I hope the processor calls saying my other 2 deer are ready for pickup soon!
Mine are in the freezer along with a Nebraska Mule Deer, some New Mexico Elk and New England Black bear. Grocery stores might be empty of meat but no shortage of meat here. Frozen whole chickens too. TP is another issue however and the leaves aren't out yet. Soon as we have leaves the TP issue is gone._g

For those who are worried about extended supply chains for toilet paper, it really does not apply. I was in the tissue industry for part of my career and keep an eye on the industry out of general interest. Toilet paper and tissue in general has a fundamental problem that its fluffy and full of air. Unlike most commodities the truck is filled up with volume long before its at its max weight. This raises the shipping cost and thus its very rarely imported as the shipping and handling makes imported product noncompetitive. If a company is trying to ship the maximum amount of product in the shortest possible time, shipping toilet paper is not high on the list. With a ongoing shortage of trucks and drivers, there is lot more profit per load shipping heavier product.

Reactions: SidecarFlip
For those who are worried about extended supply chains for toilet paper, it really does not apply. I was in the tissue industry for part of my career and keep an eye on the industry out of general interest. Toilet paper and tissue in general has a fundamental problem that its fluffy and full of air. Unlike most commodities the truck is filled up with volume long before its at its max weight. This raises the shipping cost and thus its very rarely imported as the shipping and handling makes imported product noncompetitive. If a company is trying to ship the maximum amount of product in the shortest possible time, shipping toilet paper is not high on the list. With a ongoing shortage of trucks and drivers, there is lot more profit per load shipping heavier product.

Also should be noted even though stores may be low on supply local janitorial suppliers probably have plenty. May not be your quadruple ply, knit, air fluffed, Jasmine scented shenanigans but it'll do.

We'd make do... just finally got the missus to go to 100grit 2 ply instead of 60grit 1 ply last time we bought it... ;)

Mine are in the freezer along with a Nebraska Mule Deer, some New Mexico Elk and New England Black bear. Grocery stores might be empty of meat but no shortage of meat here. Frozen whole chickens too. TP is another issue however and the leaves aren't out yet. Soon as we have leaves the TP issue is gone._g

Jealous! Do you ever make venison Wellington with your backstraps?

Status
Not open for further replies.