Corona Virus

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not a free for all. It’s just like ours

It is though. Our hospitals here are largely empty. Any deaths from other causes due to lack of care/procedures due to the the WI state government's 'empty the hospital's' act have no recourse. People die every day from many things, and apparently the only concern at the present time is the 'rona. Hospitals are no doubt very happy with this type of law. They can collect their fed gov't $ for any reported COVID-19 death, and ignore other issues without consequence. Basically encouraging reporting of covid cases. This also feeds into the media agenda of stoking fear by over-reporting death counts (death with covid vs death from covid).

Ashful is right, the lawyers are going to have a field day with this one.

Our hospitals restarted elective surgeries last friday. . Still no talk of business restarts yet. New social programs daily to help workers and companies to encourage less layoffs. Frontline workers (large group encompass) just received a govt 4$ premium plus 250$ a month if your working over 100hrs a month. It like most programs are in place until the end of June. (4months)

IMG-20200426-WA0000.jpg

Reactions: Ashful
It is though. Our hospitals here are largely empty. Any deaths from other causes due to lack of care/procedures due to the the WI state government's 'empty the hospital's' act have no recourse. People die every day from many things, and apparently the only concern at the present time is the 'rona. Hospitals are no doubt very happy with this type of law. They can collect their fed gov't $ for any reported COVID-19 death, and ignore other issues without consequence. Basically encouraging reporting of covid cases. This also feeds into the media agenda of stoking fear by over-reporting death counts (death with covid vs death from covid).

Ashful is right, the lawyers are going to have a field day with this one.
I don't think that's what is happening. In fact deaths from all other causes are way down right now while paramedics are removing corpses from folks houses. Those corpses are not able to be tested for coronavirus. Quite the contrary I believe the number of deaths to be vastly underreported, along with confirmed cases. Part of this is due to bad tests of course. Is it really possible to believe this country is going down in cases while other countries like Italy are still going up?

For those that think it's all an over reaction, by all means, please go on about your business, just wear a mask and stay away from all other people.

Reactions: bholler and maple1
The fed is definitely lying about unemployment. These attempts to give companies money to keep paying sick leave is just a way to make it look like more folks are working. Most states have unemployment cases waiting by the thousands. In fact Maine has not a single new person on unemployment. The only folks getting unemployment in Maine were the folks getting it before covid 19.

The fed is definitely lying about unemployment. These attempts to give companies money to keep paying sick leave is just a way to make it look like more folks are working. Most states have unemployment cases waiting by the thousands. In fact Maine has not a single new person on unemployment. The only folks getting unemployment in Maine were the folks getting it before covid 19.
Just the number of claims in our state alone for unemployment at the extra rate to pay out is 450,000,000 a week. It’s not sustainable for more than 3 weeks. I’m interested to see who actually will receive money.

I do not like President Trump. I think he is a boor, a lout and that anything he does for the military or veterans is based in guilt. I think he may be a criminal. I have thought this about him long before he was elected. I am speaking of him as a man, not as the president, nor of his performance as a president. That said, the 'orange anus" comment is way over the top as it is directed at him and his performance as POTUS.

I do not like President Trump. I think he is a boor, a lout and that anything he does for the military or veterans is based in guilt. I think he may be a criminal. I have thought this about him long before he was elected. I am speaking of him as a man, not as the president, nor of his performance as a president. That said, the 'orange anus" comment is way over the top as it is directed at him and his performance as POTUS.
I found it to be hilarious, so to each their own. Since Coronavirus season started he has been looking less orange and more "normal"

Just the number of claims in our state alone for unemployment at the extra rate to pay out is 450,000,000 a week. It’s not sustainable for more than 3 weeks. I’m interested to see who actually will receive money.
It's not sustainable for everyone in the country to get coronavirus either. While a stagnant economy is horrible, I think the majority of people on this planet catching coronavirus is probably worse given the outcomes so far.

Reactions: mcdougy
Would anyone be interested in renting a garden plot? I'm wondering how many people are thinking this way? May be a source of income as I realize in suburbia it's not always an option. 100$ a season for a plot 5' x 20' ?

Reactions: SpaceBus
My wife filed here in PA on March 23. Still no payment and a lot of folks are in the same boat.
That's ridiculous, 3 days here if you apply online, 10 days of done over the phone. How do they expect people to pay their bills? What do they do if your a month late paying your taxes and such?

That's ridiculous, 3 days here if you apply online, 10 days of done over the phone. How do they expect people to pay their bills? What do they do if your a month late paying your taxes and such?
This what I learned from being in the US military: the fed is quick to take and slow to give.

A lot of the problem here and other states is that the software running it hasn't been updated in decades and coupled with outdated hardware, it wasn't designed to handle the volume of claims that poured in. Throw in the extra $600/week from the Federal government that's being supplied through the states and it's a mess.

A lot of the problem here and other states is that the software running it hasn't been updated in decades and coupled with outdated hardware, it wasn't designed to handle the volume of claims that poured in. Throw in the extra $600/week from the Federal government that's being supplied through the states and it's a mess.
Prior to this mess Maine employed like six people to handle unemployment for the whole state.

I found it to be hilarious, so to each their own. Since Coronavirus season started he has been looking less orange and more "normal"
I too found it hilarious. That does not mean it belongs here. What I said was that it was over the top. It was blatantly political and the same type of boorish behavior Trump is famous for. It was like the pot calling the kettle black.

This what I learned from being in the US military: the fed is quick to take and slow to give.
Or with anything else government related: If I owe, they are hot on it, like now, threatening collections. And if they owe, well let's see, maybe in a month or two or hmm, hmm, or three, we're short staffed you know, can't get it out. But can certainly find time to deposit what I send in within the hour, even if I forgot to sign the check, oh don't worry about it.

Last edited:
I don't think that's what is happening. In fact deaths from all other causes are way down right now while paramedics are removing corpses from folks houses. Those corpses are not able to be tested for coronavirus. Quite the contrary I believe the number of deaths to be vastly underreported...
Agreed. I really like the angle taken by the article begreen posted just two or three days ago, comparing reported deaths to our yearly average for the same weeks or months of the year, as one indicator of the true toll of this thing. But even that is “under-reporting”, as it’s not accounting for the fact that things like traffic fatalities are way down while everyone is under stay at home orders.
The fed is definitely lying about unemployment. These attempts to give companies money to keep paying sick leave is just a way to make it look like more folks are working.
I agree the result of compensating employers is an under-reporting in the number of people staying at home and not working today, but I think you’re incorrectly assuming the worst motivation, here. I believe the fed is compensating employers so that they can keep those individuals on staff rather than laying them off, in anticipation that they will be an asset during any hopeful economic recovery. Remember, the $2T stimulus bill that provides these funds to employers was approved unanimously, by every Republican AND Democrat in the Senate, so your feelings about one part or the other should not influence your opinion of this bill.
My sentiments, exactly. There’s a lot to dislike on a personal level, his behavior is just embarrassing, but I have a pretty high opinion of his job performance. I have benefitted very substantially from his election.
... and the amount they pay isn’t exactly going to cover your bills, at 50% of your annual salary and capped around $29k per year, and then taxed at a higher fractional rate because your tax bracket doesn’t necessarily change for the few weeks or months you’re on that low wage. If you don’t have some savings or a side hustle, you could be in trouble real quick, spending a few months on unemployment in PA. Better get your side hustle lined up.

Agreed. I really like the angle taken by the article begreen posted just two or three days ago, comparing reported deaths to our yearly average for the same weeks or months of the year, as one indicator of the true toll of this thing. But even that is “under-reporting”, as it’s not accounting for the fact that things like traffic fatalities are way down while everyone is under stay at home orders.

I agree the result of compensating employers is an under-reporting in the number of people staying at home and not working today, but I think you’re incorrectly assuming the worst motivation, here. I believe the fed is compensating employers so that they can keep those individuals on staff rather than laying them off, in anticipation that they will be an asset during any hopeful economic recovery. Remember, the $2T stimulus bill that provides these funds to employers was approved unanimously, by every Republican AND Democrat in the Senate, so your feelings about one part or the other should not influence your opinion of this bill.

My sentiments, exactly. There’s a lot to dislike on a personal level, his behavior is just embarrassing, but I have a pretty high opinion of his job performance. I have benefitted very substantially from his election.

... and the amount they pay isn’t exactly going to cover your bills, at 50% of your annual salary and capped around $29k per year, and then taxed at a higher fractional rate because your tax bracket doesn’t necessarily change for the few weeks or months you’re on that low wage. If you don’t have some savings or a side hustle, you could be in trouble real quick, spending a few months on unemployment in PA. Better get your side hustle lined up.
I think both sides are full of crooks and goth stand to gain from keeping people on the payroll regardless of reasons.

It's not sustainable for everyone in the country to get coronavirus either. While a stagnant economy is horrible, I think the majority of people on this planet catching coronavirus is probably worse given the outcomes so far.
And thinking everyone would get Covid-19 if things remained open is a ludicrous thought void of any intelligent thought process.

… A lot of the problem here and other states is that the software running it hasn't been updated in decades and coupled with outdated hardware …

There was a news story about the company that accepts 3 1/2-inch floppy discs and wipes them clean for the government. Lots of very old government computers still using them. :eek:

I still have a bunch and was thinking of mailing them to the company.

There was a news story about the company that accepts 3 1/2-inch floppy discs and wipes them clean for the government. Lots of very old government computers still using them. :eek:
Lots of test equipment, too... much of it used by folks working on COVID-19, not just my industry. When you spend a large fraction of a million dollars specifying, procuring, and configuring a piece of test equipment, you don’t necessarily discard it just because the storage media is a little outdated. I still deal with 3.5” floppy discs several times per year, and likely will for another ten years.

We still use GPIB, too! :eek:

I did technical writing for submissions to FDA, HPB in Canada, etc. Used to use lots of little discs to store submissions.

My first position, 1988 - 1990, was writing the chemistry, manufacturing, and controls (CMC) technical sections and environmental assessment reports (EARs). Didn't even have a computer. It was a Xerox word processor that used large floppy, really floppy, discs. The Xerox put out nice heat for my office in the winter. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.