Corrosion in Avalon Olympic insert? Are repalcement parts needed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cleartron

Nov 18, 2021
Norwalk, CT
Hi All,

I'm very new to wood stoves and burning wood. I have been using our Kamina on the main floor to heat that part of the house just fine. Today, I went downstairs to light a fire in the Avalon Olympic insert since it's pretty cold out and noticed that the inside of the insert has a squarish divot. Is this supposed to be like that? I'm afraid of lighting a fire if this could cause harm.

Any advice on what I can do to keep it running (replacement parts?) would be great.

Thank you in advance.

image5.jpeg image0 (5).jpeg

Do you know the year for this stove? Does the stove have 3 secondary tubes under the baffle? If so, that is the foot of the secondary supply plenum.

Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 10.37.09 AM.png

Reactions: Cleartron
it's actually newer than I thought. I previously thought it was from the 80's. I just found the manual and installation pics that the previous owner left. The brochure has a copyright of 2005

image3 (1).jpeg image1 (4).jpeg image0 (6).jpeg

I wanted to come back and say thank you. After seeing the picture you included, I was able to see what needed to be replaced. I went ahead and bought some fire brick and cut down the ones that needed it. Replaced the broken/cracked ones for a mid-winter repair. I plan on doing a more thorough investigation when I don't need the stove (in case more parts need repair/replacement)

Cheers

image3 (2).jpeg