Corrosion in Central Boiler wood furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

airsepta

May 5, 2023
Colorado
We recently bought a house with a CL5036 Central Boiler wood furnace. I drained some water from the tank into this water bottle and there is a pale orange color, so I am assuming there is a bit of corrosion going on. Anyone with more experience with this equipment know how "bad" this is and if we can have normal operation as long as we do a refill with proper amounts of corrosion inhibitor added?
water pic.jpg

The water color by itself doesn't mean much...no way to know it was totally clean when installed.
Our well has high iron, but is fine with using iron out salt in the softener, even so it tends to shed some buildup if you sudden draw a bunch of water, like filling the boiler.
There's really no way to be sure the boiler is totally fine on the water side.
I'd drain, refill, treat/test the water n run it.

Reactions: flyingcow
The water color by itself doesn't mean much...no way to know it was totally clean when installed.
Our well has high iron, but is fine with using iron out salt in the softener, even so it tends to shed some buildup if you sudden draw a bunch of water, like filling the boiler.
There's really no way to be sure the boiler is totally fine on the water side.
I'd drain, refill, treat/test the water n run it.
Interesting point on how the well might react to a sudden draw of 200 gallons, hadn't considered that. Everything looks pretty good during normal uses, and we can fill a 40-50 gallon bathtub without getting any discoloration, so I'd guess it went in pretty clear but can't be entirely sure.

Being a CB it is an open system so testing and treating the water should be an annual event.

Reactions: flyingcow
Interesting point on how the well might react to a sudden draw of 200 gallons, hadn't considered that. Everything looks pretty good during normal uses, and we can fill a 40-50 gallon bathtub without getting any discoloration, so I'd guess it went in pretty clear but can't be entirely sure.
Obviously everyone’s well is not the same.

But if you’re able to fill a bath tub without issues, a 200 gal draw shouldn’t be an issue. Just turn the tap on low. As was pointed out, fill n sample to get the proper ph and corrosion inhibitors in place.

I’ve filled my inground pool twice over the last 18 yrs. 28,000 gals. Took a few days, all went “well”😏.

The well is a 220 ft drilled well. Usually water is 20 ft from the top of the casing.

Reactions: sloeffle
I have a 5036 as well, installed in 2010. I drained and refilled it years ago (cannot find/remember when) but today the water color looks similar to yours. However, pH and treatment levels have always been within limits and I'm not concerned about the color of the water. I currently use Molyarmor, was using 1650XL before. I added the molyarmor without draining/refilling, as CB notes that is acceptable practice. I'd check treatment levels, if everything is okay, I don't see any reason to drain and refill. Moly/pH Test Kit: https://a.co/d/bV2MiL2