Corrosion round the flue/stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Focusrschris

Oct 22, 2017
Larne
Hi folks iv have been trying to find out why my stove has corrosion around where the flue pipe enters the stove, it’s like a dusty kind of rust, it’s a hunter herald stove if that helps. The paint is definitely damaged around the entry and would love to prevent it before it gets any worse.

Any help would be great...

Attachments

• AC7966BA-2754-4874-85D4-29AD255CADCC.jpeg
    AC7966BA-2754-4874-85D4-29AD255CADCC.jpeg
    62.9 KB · Views: 142
It’s a brick wall with a heat resistive board not sure the name of material but I do know it was rather expensive, it looks like a cystal effect runs through it if that helps.

It’s a brick wall with a heat resistive board not sure the name of material but I do know it was rather expensive, it looks like a cystal effect runs through it if that helps.

And what is behind that brick wall? What is the clearance requirements for your stove?

Another room is behind the brick wall but it’s a rather thick wall, I am not too concerned with anything behind the brick at this stage.

Attachments

• C79616E5-22BE-4605-B11E-A60E10308C4D.png
    C79616E5-22BE-4605-B11E-A60E10308C4D.png
    42.8 KB · Views: 93
Another room is behind the brick wall but it’s a rather thick wall, I am not too concerned with anything behind the brick at this stage.
Ok I was just trying to make sure it wasn't dangerous. Most people think because a wall is covered in brick it is safe. But that brick transfers heat through pretty well to combustible behind it

As far as the corrosion goes it is not a big deal it is probably due to condensation over the summer. If it bothers you clean it up and repaint

As far as the corrosion goes it is not a big deal it is probably due to condensation over the summer. If it bothers you clean it up and repaint

Yeah your probably right not serious in the grand scheme and am probably being abit precious, the Paint is very soft all the same I can scrape it away with my nail it’s only been lit a dozen times or so.

Will maybe seal round it with fire cement incase the gasket is not sealing it right and repaint to see if that cures it ?