Cost for installing wood stove insert (New England)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lml999

Minister of Fire
Oct 25, 2013
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
We moved and I'm having our Enviro 1200 insert installed at our new (to us house). I got a quote of $3300 for installation, including all hardware and labor, including -- 25' 6" diameter flexible stainless liner, top support plate, lower damper plate, elbows, stainless chimney cap and a blocking plate above the stove. Chimney is in good shape, at one end of the house, easily accessible...

This price is about $600 more for the same work proposed three years ago.

I will hire a professional for the job, and will pull a permit...but shoot, I didn't pay that much for the insert 12 years ago, and at that time, I think the installation was $1K...

Is this a reasonable price for a fall installation in New England, or do I need to talk with some additional service providers?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Seems really high. I didn’t pay that much for my Enviro Kodiak 1700 new plus the install! That was 6 or 7 years ago. I would shop around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems really high. I didn’t pay that much for my Enviro Kodiak 1700 new plus the install! That was 6 or 7 years ago. I would shop around.

In my area, getting anyone to do an install for something they aren't selling is a nonstarter. There's more remunerative work on new construction and major remodels to be had right now.

So, I guess you can count yourself lucky that you don't have to buy a new insert to get someone to install it.

I would call around a bit more. About $2500 seems more appropriate, but we don't have eyes on the scene. Unfortunately you may need to wait a while. This is the busiest time of the year. See if you can find a certified sweep with good references to do the installation. www.csia.org

Thanks begreen, that's really helpful (as always!). I talked briefly with a sweep referred by a local shop. Price seems low (a third of my first proposal) and he's available soon. (Two red flags!) But he's not listed on the CSIA website. I think I'll reach out to another company, one who *is* listed....

Last edited:

Who did you go with all those years ago? Are they still in business? I got prices last year and all of mine were about the same at the original poster. Some over $4k. I was looking into the enviro 1200/1700 as well. I still don't have an insert because other things kept going wrong in the house and eating up all my funds.

Who did you go with all those years ago? Are they still in business? I got prices last year and all of mine were about the same at the original poster. Some over $4k. I was looking into the enviro 1200/1700 as well. I still don't have an insert because other things kept going wrong in the house and eating up all my funds.

We bought the stove from Commonwealth Fireplace (Norwood, Mass). I spoke with them yesterday about the installation, and expect a call back today or tomorrow regarding pricing and timing. It's a 60 mile drive for them to get to me on Cape Cod, so that may push their price up a bit...

And I just spoke with a local CSIA certified sweep/installer, who gave me a rough quote of $2500 for the installation. About what I expected, and I'll go with him unless Commonwealth surprises me with much better pricing...

Can't wait to get back to burning... we burned for about 9 years, before we moved, and saved a couple of $K each year on oil. We're now in a house with NG and spend about $2K annually on heat, so the impact will be less...but still helpful. I've got several years of wood banked (brought most of it from our old house...)

I was confused. I thought your price included the stove. I didn't know you already had the stove. That is quite high. My quote for installation and stove (enviro 1700) from a very reputable place listed on that website was $4,839.93 out the door. The installation with pipe was $2k. Not sure if that was a discount because I was going to buy the stove from them or now. I had 5 other quotes all in same ballpark except one shady guy that I wouldn't do business with. Goodluck on your install!

I was confused. I thought your price included the stove. I didn't know you already had the stove. That is quite high. My quote for installation and stove (enviro 1700) from a very reputable place listed on that website was $4,839.93 out the door. The installation was $2k. Not sure if that was a discount because I was going to buy the stove from them or now. I had 5 other quotes all in same ballpark except one shady guy that I wouldn't do business with. Goodluck on your install!

Sorry for the confusion. We bought the stove (with original installation) from Commonwealth 12 years ago. We moved three years ago and brought the stove (and three cords of seasoned wood!) with us...

Last edited:
Reactions: robj80
Liner will be installed tomorrow and the stove hooked up. I may be burning again by the weekend (need to have the town inspect before I light a first fire). They promise to be prompt...

Are you having the liner insulated?

That's a bit surprising for a csia sweep. Most chimneys need an insulated liner.
I'll ask tomorrow before they start. Possible that they are planning to do it, just didn't specify in quote...

Separately, they are putting in a block-off plate. I added one to our last installation and it seemed to make a substantial difference.

Big week for the house, by the way. Had critter guards installed around our solar panels yesterday, tomorrow the stove is going in, and on Friday we're refinancing. Thought our rate was pretty good 3 years ago...took a full point off, moved from 20 to 15 year term and am saving $300/month.

I'll ask tomorrow before they start. Possible that they are planning to do it, just didn't specify in quote...

Separately, they are putting in a block-off plate. I added one to our last installation and it seemed to make a substantial difference.
If they say they are not insulating, I’d seriously question why not and consider stalling the install. Unfortunately, a lot of people learn after the install that insulation was needed.

How did they confirm proper clearances from the chimney to combustibles the whole way?

If it was going to be insulated, your invoice should have itemized the cost for the insulation blanket (mine was $360 for a 30' liner) or the line item for the liner would have specified an "insulated " versus just a liner. Like @bholler above, get a different installer. No reason not to spend a few hundred extra bucks for better performance, higher safety margins and less worry.

Reactions: bholler
Is this it?

The listing states that it's 280 pounds. Is that right?

I bought a Lopi Answer which is the same weight. The guys at the place in town where I bought it helped me get the box in the back of my Ford Escape. I was able to get it out of the Escape at home myself since that's downhill.

I bought a hand truck at Lowe's. Removed the secondary air tubes and over 60 pounds of firebricks to get the unit down to about 220 pounds. Was able to get it in by the fireplace. My wife helped me get it up the stairs to the front door and a friend helped me get it down the three steps to the den.

The guy I was using to clean the chimney (pre-Sooteater and brushes that I now have) dropped down a liner. No way I was going up on the roof since my chimney is in a really screwy location. And, I'm also 60.

I bought 15- and 30-degree elbows at an online chimney supply place in case he wanted to use them for the final hook-up. He used the 30, if I recall correctly.