Cost of a cord

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nokoni

Nov 28, 2005
For those of you buying wood-What is a cord going for in your area? Cincinnati, Ohio about 140.00. Luckily, I will be able to get some free wood next year!

You're doubly lucky, if that is the price for a full cord of seasoned hardwood. In Seattle-Tacoma area it's running $175-200, depending on quality, and that probably won't be hardwood.

HI ,

In my area (Upstate NY) I only see ads for face cords. They run from 45 to 55 so that makes 135 to 165 a full cord.

Naturally, I also cut my own wood for free!!

Carpniels

Hey carpniels, I'm over in Clinton.

according to the newspaper classified ads, in Southeastern CT it is running between $145.00 and $175.00 per cord, split and delivered.

in the pocono's around 130 for hardwood, does seem cheap but there is 3 adds in todays paper

I called a couple local guys back in early October and it was 140. I think I could get it a lot cheaper if not cut and split and seasoned.

Mixed firewood for sale. $60 1/2 cord. Call
copied out of a classified ad in kansas.don't know if it's delivered though.

I don't know exactly what the mark-up is for dry wood, but let's say it's a conservative 20%. Can you think of another investment that will guarantee a 20% return? Buy your wood green in the spring and watch your money grow over the summer months.

I was quoted prices ranging from $140 per cord to $510 per cord of mixed hard wood (seasoned-supposedly) delivered .
All the wood dealers were in and around Cincinnati , Ohio.
I ended up paying $412 for 2 cords of seasoned mixed hardwood , delivered. I chose my wood dealer based solely on gut instinct.
Some of the dealers sounded pretty shadey...wanting to deliver at night in the dark...so you can't see what you're getting.
It's hard to know who too buy from if you don't have a free wood source.
Next year , I will be able to buy if I need to in the spring . Prices will be far more reasonable. And hopefully next year I can do some wood gathering of my own
so I don't have to purchase everything. Also this year is a bit of an experiment as I haven't heated with wood in this house yet...and the stove is a different kind than I have used before.
I used to heat with a Shenandoah when I was growing up. In a big old victorian house in New England, you could go through a cord in a week or two.
My house now is basically # rooms. 1 large downstairs (where the stove is ) and 2 rooms upstairs. an open stairway conects the two . Ceiling fans in each room. Less than 1000 square feet. I'm putting in a Hearthstone Tribute . It supposed to be able to heat up to 1300 square feet.
So, I 'm curious to see just how much wood I will go through.

bruce56bb said:
Mixed firewood for sale. $60 1/2 cord. Call
copied out of a classified ad in kansas.don't know if it's delivered though.
where in Kansas ? We moved just north into Nebraska so that means "I dont think we are in Kansas anymore!?" Had to say it.

spike
council grove.....that oz quote doesnt bother me.......it does get old when out of state and someone who has just learned of me being from kansas says "so how is toto".
where ya at in neb?

bruce56bb said:
spike
council grove.....that oz quote doesnt bother me.......it does get old when out of state and someone who has just learned of me being from kansas says "so how is toto".
where ya at in neb?
stright up 77 from you.

only place I've seen that advertizes a ful cord is a homeowner who has "2 cords hardwood" for $250. You pickup.
most of the ads are for "full size pickup" ranging 65-90 delivered. That's ticghtly stacked to the top of the walls from what I've seen. The pickup tyrucks that are riding around delivering the wood have it advertised for 90 bucks. I also saw one ad. that advertised a "face cord" and then went on to define that as a stack 3 1/2 feet tall by 8 feet long. so you have to figure it's running 200-270 a cord for delivered firewood.

chrisN said:
according to the newspaper classified ads, in Southeastern CT it is running between $145.00 and $175.00 per cord, split and delivered.

Same in NE CT... IF you can find any.

Hey JF, against my better judgement, I'll tell you a secret: If you look around a little bit, and have free time on weekends, there is tons and tons and tons of wood for the taking around here. I check the free section of the New London Day paper classifieds and often see offers for wood for the taking, especially in the spring and summer. Also, if you have home builders around you like we do in here in Montville, they are often grateful if you stop and offer to remove their piled up logs that are getting in the way of their site-work. Another angle I've been having good luck with lately is to hook up with part-time tree fallers ( weekend warriers who fell trees for homeowners and then leave). Often the homeowner has no use for the fallen tree and is happy if a scavenger offers to buck it up and remove it. All that being said, if I see you scavenging in my "hood" I'll run ya out of town! Good luck.

In the Greater Waterbury area of CT, it is around $175-$210 a cord delivered. They call it seasoned, but I wouldn't.

Rick

Here in Cental Texas split cord of oak is $100 a cord not delivered. Greg

$114 Full Cord - Birch - split and seasoned 6 months. Delivered.

Northern Ontario

(135 CDN $$$ so approx. $114 U.S. based on today's exchange rate.)

ADDED - I should also mention, just to spread some envy...... :coolsmile:

This is a big timber cutting area, mostly pines for dimensional lumber and newsprint and poplar for oriented strand board (chipboard). If you know any of the bush contractors they will cut and deliver an entire tree length lumber truck of birch for around $600 which will give you 10 cords, but you still have to buck it to length and split it.

That would work out to about $50 U.S. per cord.

We charge 295.00 per cord delivered and dumpedin the seattle area. We also have a 15.00 fuel surcharge and sales tax on top. This is for soft woods. Add another 20.00 per cord for Maple. We have the same customers as when we were charging 35.00 per cord 25 years ago.

Oh! we also throw in Super Cedar firestarters.

Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.