Cost of Electricity in Your Area

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

UpStateNY

Feeling the Heat
May 4, 2008
Catskill Mountains
What is your cost of electricity? I saw on another thread here someone paying 23c/kWh in MA. That seemed extremely high to me.

My cost here in upstate NY under Central Hudson. This month, July 2021, my electric cost was lower than usual at 12.3c/kWh with Nexamp solar farm discount. It would have been 13.9c/kWh without Nexamp discount. This does not include the $19.50 monthly basic service charge which I would have to payed if I used zero kWh. Average for the year Central Hudson charges approximately 15c/kWh without the Nexamp discount.

Reactions: thewoodlands
I dont know since I have not bought any for five years ;). I pay a standard fee for the privilege of being connected to the grid.

I think its important that the cost is "all in". The energy cost is only a small part of many bills, usually its broken into energy cost, transmission and distribution, system benefit charges (usually energy efficiency related) possibly state taxes, and standard service fee (usually fixed for each account type. The other items listed usually are usage related. So If someone does not buy a lot of power, the standard fee adds a lot of cost per KW while someone who uses lots of power the standard fee adds a minimal amount.

The simplest way is probably take the bulk bill and divide by the KW used. realizing that low power users will be penalized somewhat.

What is your cost of electricity cents per kWh calculated by:
(TotalBill - MonthlyRequiredAmount) / kWh)
Monthly-Required-Amount is something you would have to pay even if you used zero kWh.

I saw on another thread here someone paying 23c/kWh in MA. That seemed extremely high to me.

My cost here in upstate NY under Central Hudson. This month, July 2021, my electric cost was lower than usual at 12.3c/kWh with Nexamp solar farm discount. It would have been 13.9c/kWh without Nexamp discount. This does not include the $19.50 monthly basic service charge which I would have to payed if I used zero kWh. Average for the year Central Hudson charges approximately 15c/kWh without the Nexamp discount.

Here in NC with Duke/Progress total is 12.5 cents per KWh at about 1000 kWhs. Duke keeps asking for double digit rate increases but only got a 5% increase this year.

The $0.24 that I calculated includes generation and transmission charges as well as all the other BS "renewable energy" surcharges

Screenshot_20210717-175945.png

Our items here are different from yours and I think that is terrible paying for all those other things and it looks like a telephone bill with all that stuff on it...My bill reads: Electric Services for 410 kWh--50,49 and gas 9 therms 19.72..But then they break it down to itemized things like service and facility and summer tiers m transportation cost adjustments and electric commodity adjustments , demand side management cost and on and on like paying for bus service and renewable energy standard adjustments and on it goes--franchise fee's and GRSAE and CACJA and on and on some more...Like if people know what they are paying for--terrible ---they let me know that they were going to change my meter out for a smart box meter and I thumbs down this by calling the company (optional here) and now I have to pay extra each month because I do not want a smart meter...The total for all this above crap is 46.76 and that's added to the bill of 50.49. So its almost as much as my bill for the use of the gas and electric and this is summer time--wait until winter comes...terrible..clancey

New England has some of the highest electricity prices in the lower 48. Its mainly because the majority of our power plants run on natural gas that is brought in on pipelines. Those pipelines are constrained so the gas is expensive to import. In the winter there sometimes isn't enough gas capacity for the power plants so oil peakers are used. Heating gets priority on the pipelines in the winter.

The US Energy Information Administration tracks monthly prices. It all depends on the region. Upstate NY has a ton of cheap hydro. Washington state has some of the cheapest electricity as well from their hydro.

CT, Mass, and RI are all paying around. 23 kwh. The one good thing is all these states have some of the best solar incentives in the nation. The payback period on systems in these states is 4-5 years with thousands available in state incentives. The ridiculously high electric rates make your return on investment quick and worth it.

My electrical bill in CT is just the $9 connection charge every month with solar.

$17/month flat rate connection charge and then $0.08/kWh in the winter, $0.10/kWh in the summer (typical) in Central NY through NYSEG.

So your solar hook ups really make a difference? clancey

Yes, if the panels are dimensioned well to your usage, one should be able to offset most.
I pay 13 dollars per month as a connection fee - and my panels generate all I use (because we have net metering, i.e. my meter runs backwards during sunny days and forward again in the night and cloudy days).

$13 bucks a month. I havent actually bought any KW for5 years.

$13 bucks a month. I havent actually bought any KW for5 years.
The question is, what are the local electrical rates? Not what one ends up paying due to supplemental factors. Locally it's about 11¢/kWh.

Just shy of $0.12 per, all in...community owned generation plant though.

About 28 cents kwh in Nor.Cal on average. Add 7 more cents when over baseline. I am on time of use, so some times of the day it can be as high as 42 cents or as low as 23 during the summer. I think maybe Hawaii is higher than us... (Regular gasoline is $4.50/gal here, about the same as Hawaii, typically.)

Unfortunately my house location is not ideal for solar because of trees that aren't mine. It's a good thing air conditioning isn't needed here on the coast.

It's something like a quarter/kwh once all fees are in. I'm a low user. Since the wife is working from home, not as low, but I don't spread the fees out very far. National grid makes me feel dirty and doesn't even buy me dinner every month.

About 28 cents kwh in Nor.Cal on average. Add 7 more cents when over baseline.
Wow what are you folks going to do when everyone goes electric Cars?

Cheapest rates I understands are in South Dakota with coal and State of Washington with hrdro. The Google search servers are in state of Washington for their cheap power. Google’s server farm power bill is hundreds of dollars a minute.

I couldn't find a bill for my house, but I found one for the cabin. $29.17 with all fees, delivery, etc for 80kwh usage. A whopping .36/kwh.

I really dont think you're being fair to yourself if you dont count the fees.

Cheapest rates I understands are in South Dakota with coal and State of Washington with hrdro. The Google search servers are in state of Washington for their cheap power. Google’s server farm power bill is hundreds of dollars a minute.
Looks like several states are around 10¢, though this is just averages. Several states have more than one power supplier.

>>

As you can see from the above replies this URL data is all WRONG!!!!!

no, it clearly mentions "average rates" per state. So where you live might be quite different from the state average.
Rates vary from utility to utility, so average rates per state are not very useful imho.

Our gasoline is higher than most the U.S. too, so when we compare EV refueling costs with high electric costs , it's also compared to high gasoline costs. They also have electric plans where night time recharging is around 13 cents kwh and there is no baseline fee. With those cheaper night rates (11pm to 7am), however, your day time rates can get very expensive. Also California gives a big subsidy to electric car purchases. Furthermore, California has a law that is pushing people into paying rates that reflect the cost of electricity to match the time of day rates, such as expensive on summer afternoons when air conditioning is pushing the demand.