Central Hudson Electric Supply Rates More Than Doubled 2/10/2022

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

UpStateNY

Feeling the Heat
May 4, 2008
Catskill Mountains
If your debating to use any form of Electric Heat versus Pellets, I strongly suggest burn the pellets. At the current time do not use any electric heat. Do not use electric heat pumps.

Central Hudson just increased their Electric Supply rates from $.08 per KWh to $.22 per KWh on 2/10/2022. That is a 2.5 times increase. The $.22 per KWh does not include the electric delivery KWh charge. Basically Central Hudson power company in the Hudson Valley of upstate NY is economically crazy high, which will have a significant impact on residents and any business. See graph in this link. Let us know if your electric company has done the unthinkable by doubling price.

Reactions: clancey and Mt Bob
Wow! That is quite a jump in prices. We have Met Ed where we are in PA. Right now, we are paying .074 per KWH and .054 per KWH for the distribution and a few other monthly charges like "Customer Charge" (?), Distribution System Improvement Charge, and Default Service Support Charge. Our bill for last month was $230.24. I remember just a few years ago to get a bill over $100 was a lot. I was watching one of the major networks the other night (don't remember which one) and they had a piece about NY'ers screaming that their electricity charges doubled in one month.

Welcome to the real world
you should see our Hydro bills
How much do you pay per KWh in Canada where you live ?

BTW Central Hudson is owned by Canadian Fortis company. When Fortis bought Central Hudson all the executives got huge $10 million dollar parachute deals.

How much do you pay per KWh in Canada where you live ?
That sir is a loaded question
It depends on where you live.
I am a rural user (Farm) but being a farm makes no difference
Off-peak 8 cents per kwh
mid-peak 11.3 per kwh
peak 17 per kwh
Then add in the delivery fee of 4.60 per 750 kwh works out to 36% of your bill
Regulatory taxes
GST (aka Grab and Screw Tax) Sales tax
And what do you know add it all up and you get a bill like mine of about 270$ a month.
and we are not big users

• Wow
Reactions: railfanron
A jump that big doesn't compute, All Utility Company's have over sight . Here in Michigan we have the Michigan Public Service Commission. Detroit Edison has to justify a rate increase in order to get one. So Im kinda wondering who looks after your Utilities?

I'm afraid it is and will be the norm. We got an email that National Grid customer can expect to see an increase of about 40% on their bills. The article said customers can expect to start paying $80 - $110 more a month when the increase takes effect.

Reactions: EncoreInMass
I'm afraid it is and will be the norm. We got an email that National Grid customer can expect to see an increase of about 40% on their bills. The article said customers can expect to start paying $80 - $110 more a month when the increase takes effect.
You are likely not wrong. Hopefully most are prepared/expecting it..

Not sure why the sudden traffic on a 7 month old thread. But your 40% increase, while not insignificant, is miles from the OP's budget-breaking 275% increase.

If it makes you feel any better, I pay $400 - $500 in electric each month, and I don't even use electricity for primary heating.

Not sure why the sudden traffic on a 7 month old thread. But your 40% increase, while not insignificant, is miles from the OP's budget-breaking 275% increase.

If it makes you feel any better, I pay $400 - $500 in electric each month, and I don't even use electricity for primary heating.
WOW, really, why so much? You growing Pot?

WOW, really, why so much? You growing Pot?
Good question, but no pot here. I installed an Emporia Vue monitor on two of my six breaker panels last winter, so at this point I should have enough data to give a reasonably informed answer, if I took some time to gather and analyze the data. Maybe I'll put some time on that this weekend, before guessing at the primary culprits.

A complicating factor is that I have a wife who only knows how to turn lights and appliances on, not off. She has trained the kids. I spend my mornings turning off all the crap they left on over night, and my evenings doing the same, but I'm clearly losing the battle.

I hear you on that one. I think you know Im an Electrical Contractor here in Michigan , so Im up on things like this, and I gotta say if you have no electric heat or any other major loads going $500 is, well lets just say f ---
up

I hear you on that one. I think you know Im an Electrical Contractor here in Michigan , so Im up on things like this, and I gotta say if you have no electric heat or any other major loads going $500 is, well lets just say f ---
up
Well, I said $400 - $500 off the cuff, based upon the prior two bills of $427 and $486 being most fresh in my memory. But I just logged into my PECO account, and see that May and October are only $250'ish. It all averages to $338/month:

peco.png

I suspect the Jan and Feb bills reflect our Christmas light usage, with a little added work from the minisplit covering my carriage barn (only kept around 50F), and summer peak is obviously air conditioning. But I'll pull the data from the two Vue systems, and see what they show, this weekend.

I actually have six breaker panels, so there's only so far I can distill the data from the two Vue's I have installed. I actually bought a third, but haven't gotten around to installing it, they're a major PITA to fit into a tight panel, and I was planning on doing some re-arranging of the panel loads and supplies before wiring it in.

Okay, not sure if this is the best place to post it, but since I had promised... here's the output from two of my breaker panels. We have six panels on the property, so it's not a complete picture, but likely a rough representation of the division of usage for the last ten months:

total usage.png

The barn contains my work shop, usual DIY'er space for working on tractor and mower, small woodworking and painting projects, etc. It is heated and cooled with a dual-head minisplit system, kept at something like 50F min to 80F max, with auto-changeover from heat to cool. Heated space is 1200 sq.ft. between two floors, all spray-foamed to 6" depth, with six very good windows, but the two very large overhead doors are lossy machined PVC construction. In any case, here's the barn usage over time:

barn.png

The "subs" category in the pie chart above captures four sub-panels, essentially all sub panels taken off the main panel, except the barn. I need to get around to installing the remaining Vue system onto one of them, to get better insight to what's happening there, since there are some big loads on it (eg. AC air handler + another mini-split system).

The other big category was cooling, obviously higher this year, now that I'm working from home and running some high-power computing in my home office. With the Vue systems I have installed, this is capturing two of my four condensers ("barn" includes a third), and one of my two primary air handlers, so likely 90% of the total for the house (minus barn). Here's the monthly on that:

cooling.png

One of my two AC systems is 30 years old, and the other was replaced 1 year ago. The old system draws 2500 kWh, compared to 500 kWh on the new system, although the difference in cooled volume is also more than 3:1, reducing the effective difference from 5:1 to 1.7:1. Furthermore, the old part of the house is cooled 24/7, whereas the new part is only cooled 1 hour in the morning + 6 hours evening, meaning the older system is actually only drawing half as much energy per hour per sq.ft.

Well usage shows heavy use of irrigation in summer, I'm trying to grow a forest, to block out a new neighbor just a hundred yards away from my back patio.

well.png

On a lighter note, you can see I put up more than a few Christmas lights, esp. considering this data didn't start until half way thru December, when I installed the first Vue.

lights outside.png

Last edited:
In the first chart, which portion has the dryer on it, assuming you use electric for clothes drying?
Good question. The dryer is electric, and in the group labeled "subs = 23%". It is tied of my sub-panel "D", for which I have no plans to install a Vue, so I guess I won't ever have good resolution on it. I presently have monitors installed on panels "A" and "B", with a third intended to go on panel "C".

Panels "E" and "F" are a music studio and the barn, so no need or interest for monitoring on those. But perhaps I should make plans to install one on "D", which contains all of our third floor, much of the second, as well as the laundry, an air handler, and an electric water heater.