Cost of installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew2

Aug 22, 2006
CT
I am buying a woodstock fireview soapstone stove. The stove will sit on the hearth in front of the fireplace (well mostly in front, all except about 4 inches). I live in a colonial. The existing fireplace is on an outside wall. I just received a quote for installation of the stove and a full flexible insulated liner of 2500.00! This seems completely out of hand, in fact it is more than the stove. When I went stove shopping initially for a hearthstone, I was generally quoted around 1000.00 which included the cost of the liner, delivery and full installation. It seemed expensive, but reasonable. My question is: what can I reasonably expect to pay for installation, including the cost of the liner? I am in CT. I realize every situation is different but I am hoping for some ballpark figures.

Depending on chimney height I'd probably be in the 1200-1500 dollar range for that job installed. Of course it depends on what brand of liner etc. And also take into consideration I'm in Wyoming and things are a whole lot less expensive than on the East Coast.

Drew I live in Ma, Iwas looking at a harthstone heritage and my sweep Quoted me a price of 1600 linner and install. Hope this helps

Shane said:
Depending on chimney height I'd probably be in the 1200-1500 dollar range for that job installed. Of course it depends on what brand of liner etc. And also take into consideration I'm in Wyoming and things are a whole lot less expensive than on the East Coast.

Thanks Shane. I am guessing that the chimney is about 25 feet high.

The insulation may be killing you...it can be expensive.

If chimney is in very good condition, you may be able to get away without insulation. Also, some flues can be tough to fit it down.

Shop around and I think you will see $1000-$1500 uninsulated and $1400-$1900 insulated. You may get some lower prices and you will get some higher - some contractors are too busy and they will charge what the market will bear.

It is not unusual for installations and chimneys to cost as much or more than a stove.

Congrats on the Woodstock - top notch stove.

Shane is the business and I am not. But I put flex liners in my two chimney flues this year by myself. His twelve to fifteen hundred numbers were what I would estimate to be reasonable given the materials and labor involved. That is if it is a reasonably straight twenty to twenty five foot chimney with a standard damper in the way and single wall flex liner with insulation.

Twenty five hundred either means that installer is seeing some things we can't see from here, or you need to call a few certified sweeps around there for a some bids. In fact you need to get some bids anyway.

Thanks guys. the chimney looks like it's in good condition. We bought the house last year. We used the fireplace once last winter during a power outage. We had it swept when we bought the house and we were told it was in good condition. It sounds like the quote I got was on the high side (Thank God). I'll definately call around and get some more quotes.

Let us know how it turns out.

Lets see some pictures of it when you'r done.

Status
Not open for further replies.