cost of new propane furnace installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rawlins02

Feb 19, 2012
Western Massachusetts
I'm seeking comment on what might be reasonable cost to install a new furnace. I'm in western Massachusetts. I've got three estimates. On low end, 10 hours labor at $100/hour. Additional cost of $1500 for materials plus the $2800-$3000 for furnace. On the high end I was quoted $7500 total for same or similar furnace. Wasn't given a breakdown for the additional $4500 beyond furnace. I'm aware that there's some addditional work needed to install venting of furnace exhust and condensate, so am expecting to pay more than $2000 for installation beyond cost of furnace. Just feel that the higher estimate is rather high.

I recently had a new a/c condenser, heat pump combo with new furnace installed for $5700.
Installer ended up making $400. Goodman units with Reme Halo as well.

I manage property fulltime in MA. The prices are all over the map, labor and equipment scarce.
Low bids scare me. That’s a 2K spread. I’d trust a larger shop before a guy in a van these days. I want POI and listed as named insured on anybody small.

Reactions: vinny11950
I recently had a new a/c condenser, heat pump combo with new furnace installed for $5700.
Installer ended up making $400. Goodman units with Reme Halo as well.
Sounds like a very low labor rate. I believe the high cost of living in my region translates to high labor cost.

I manage property fulltime in MA. The prices are all over the map, labor and equipment scarce.
Low bids scare me. That’s a 2K spread. I’d trust a larger shop before a guy in a van these days. I want POI and listed as named insured on anybody small.
Agree trust is important. I'm tossing the low bid.

Still begs the question: What's a typical (average) labor rate for this work. $100/hour? $300/hour?

Before we installed our Pellet Boiler (Highly Recommend), we were quoted 12k for new Propane Boiler for our 2550sqft as well as a large indirect water heater. I can't remember if it was 85 gallons or 165 gallons. Plus new circulators and some other clean ups.

Agree trust is important. I'm tossing the low bid.

Still begs the question: What's a typical (average) labor rate for this work. $100/hour? $300/hour?
I was asked to list out and compare the labor rates we pay our contractors here. These numbers are 3 years old.
HVAC tech with large company 167/hr
HVAC tech with small company. Owner (Masters Degree Wentworth Inst.) verrryyyy smart with everything. Cleanest work you'd ever find. 225/hr.
Plumber and helper (Owner) 135/hr Single 115/hr.
Master Electrician (Smartest one I've ever met) 125/hr.

I only work with T&M guys. No bids here. Long term relationships. All regions have varying rates. Hope this helps

I was asked to list out and compare the labor rates we pay our contractors here. These numbers are 3 years old.
HVAC tech with large company 167/hr
HVAC tech with small company. Owner (Masters Degree Wentworth Inst.) verrryyyy smart with everything. Cleanest work you'd ever find. 225/hr.
Plumber and helper (Owner) 135/hr Single 115/hr.
Master Electrician (Smartest one I've ever met) 125/hr.

I only work with T&M guys. No bids here. Long term relationships. All regions have varying rates. Hope this helps

Yes this helps. Thanks.

Reactions: clancey
I realize I have an odd situation, but thought it may help with material costs.
I hired a guy that does it on the side that is married to a girl at work.

Trusted folks. Decent work. Best I could do. Happy with the results.

Yes this helps. Thanks.
I didn’t list the total loser HVAC company who did a nice job on a spec home we built then totally screwed the pooch and left me hanging bad on another.
My point is there is still a gut feeling. It’s not all about the numbers.
Did 7000’ of roadway and used the high bidder.

Everything is so very expensive now in that line of what you want done...heck I got my stove just for an emergency figuring it would not be too much money to buy and hook up--not a furnace but the same idea trying to get a good deal...I think jb price is a good deal in our times now...but he is in Ohio and your in Mass and prices are very different as well as here in CO. Sometimes its good to trust friends to do what you need done but--you must have faith in them---do what you gut tells you...My wood stove was 2000 plus installation and it was very near 7500 in total and I was shocked at the price...terrible pricing and things are getting worse...Its hard...good your pricing and BadLP pricing to me sounds right on but with a few years difference and that would make it higher today like was noted...Ten years ago my hot water boiler to put in was about 5,000 at that time and it is still going strong.. Just edited the price of my stove --I looked it up from the installer he charged about 5500. and that was about last May I think...mrs clancey

Last edited:
Wow the prices are nutz their.. I had a furnace replaced in a modular home plus had a new gas line installed and it was done in 6-8 hours and the final bill was reasonable to the point we did not even question it...

Reactions: clancey