Could anybody help identify router bit needed?

andrewjoseph Posted By andrewjoseph, Aug 21, 2018 at 9:56 PM

1. andrewjoseph

andrewjoseph
    Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 17, 2013
    Loc:
    omaha, ne
    I have never posted on this part of the forum before, but am stuck on a project. I am hoping that someone one here will be able to point me in the right direction.

I had a renter break a facing on a kitchen drawer. I am looking to make a replacement myself and paint it out of mdf, but am not sure which router bit I would need to get the edging to match, or get very close to matching. I have very limited experience with routers, and have only used them for trimming laminate.
    Could anyone tell by the two pictures which bit I would need to buy?

I would greatly appreciate any help on this, am trying to get the place fixed back up to sell. Thanks very much!
    20180811_123737-1612x784.jpg 20180811_123726-1612x784.jpg

2. bholler

bholler
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    I have never seen a router bit for it. But it is a pretty standard drawer front profile i have a shsper cutter for it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. blades

blades
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 23, 2008
    Loc:
    WI, Leroy
    heck you can reproduce that with a couple passes on the table saw and a sureform or similar rasp or just sand paper in a rounded out section of a block of wood for the rounded edge, rather than digging all over for a router bit. just old school- or redneck if you prefer. didn't have routers back in the day but did make hand plane irons for some things.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. tadmaz

tadmaz
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 21, 2017
    Loc:
    Erin, WI
  5. bholler

bholler
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    It is an ogee but it is flatter and more elongated than most router bits

6. My_3_Girls

My_3_Girls
    Member 2.
    NULL

Aug 7, 2006
    Loc:
    Massachusetts
    Those cabs look newer and fairly stock - any chance you can find the manufacturer and get them to send you a new drawer front? Might be easier and cheaper than trying to replicate, and (unless you painted) factory finished

7. johneh

johneh
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 19, 2009
    Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
    dCalvinz likes this.
  8. semipro

semipro
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 12, 2009
    Loc:
    SW Virginia
    There are companies out on the Internet that sell cabinet doors and drawer fronts.

9. bholler

bholler
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    Just do a google search for drawer front router bits i found quite a few that are really close. I didnt find any that did the back cut to like my shaper cutters do but you can do that with a saw.

10. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Guys, what am I missing, here? Looks like a simple cove bit (maybe 1/4” radius) followed by a round over (maybe 1/8” radius). Again, am I missing something?

Buy a set of each, so you can match up the radius to your current drawers.

Like bholler already said, do the bevel on the table saw or radial saw.

11. dCalvinz

dCalvinz
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Aug 28, 2018
    Loc:
    GA
  12. AlbergSteve

AlbergSteve
    Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 11, 2017
    Loc:
    Vancouver Island
    X2. Bevel and face cut between cove and round over done on table saw. Router mounted in a table.