Country Boy White Lightning or Barefoot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bas157

Oct 1, 2012
Near Limerick, PA
Looking to pick up another ton of pellets. Debating between Country Boy White Lightning at $345 per ton vs Barefoot at $315 per ton

Had burned a ton of Barefoot years ago, not sure if they are the same. Seemed decent at the time but didn't wow me. Not sure if they changed quality over the year? Other option I'm considering is Country Boy White Lightning which I've never burned but the few posts I can find about them all seem positive.
The $30 difference isn't a deal breaker if the Country Boy are a better pellet. Almost out of my AWF Softwood so don't have time to pickup a few bags of each and give them a shot (place isn't terribly far away, but totally not in a direction I travel anymore)

Any opinions of either brand this year?

Looking to pick up another ton of pellets. Debating between Country Boy White Lightning at $345 per ton vs Barefoot at $315 per ton

Had burned a ton of Barefoot years ago, not sure if they are the same. Seemed decent at the time but didn't wow me. Not sure if they changed quality over the year? Other option I'm considering is Country Boy White Lightning which I've never burned but the few posts I can find about them all seem positive.
The $30 difference isn't a deal breaker if the Country Boy are a better pellet. Almost out of my AWF Softwood so don't have time to pickup a few bags of each and give them a shot (place isn't terribly far away, but totally not in a direction I travel anymore)

Any opinions of either brand this year?
I burned Country Boy for years. The only complaint I had was they were dusty when emptying the pellets from the bag into the stove. Try did burn well with good heat.

The Barefoots I grabbed a few bags of burned fine. Heat seemed good but way more ash than the Turman and AWF Softwood I usually burn.

The Country Boy don't have as much ash as the Barefoot but noticably more than Turman and AWF. The Country Boy pellets are very short and seem to be burning quicker than Turman which are also oak.
I'm wondering how old the pallet I got was though as the top overwrap/pallet bag was disintegrated by the time I got home(14 miles) and 3 bags on the bottom row had previously gotten wet and 2 of them had BIG black ants living in the bags, pretty nasty!! Never seen that before so thinking the vendor maybe had them for awhile, like on the bottom of the pile and kept getting new deliveries stacked on top which kept breaking my ton of pellets. There was also some kind of green 'plant like' stuff growing near the ants. Luckily it was cold so ants were very slow moving.

CountryBoyAnts.jpg