Country Flame FPD 400

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bend1

Nov 9, 2022
arkansas
Hi all!
My new house came with a Country Flame FPD 400 installed approximately 1975 (according to daughter of original owner). The original fireplace had two blowers on either side and an output on top (black vents in picture). The insert itself has two blowers on either side as well (black boxes). The height from the top of the insert to the crown is about 14 ft. The chimney has 14" terra cota flue liner with some cracks. The house is 1500sf and was built in 1972. Its not unusual to have constant wind of 15 mph in this area.

The insert didnt draw very well so I got to looking around and the insert boot is rusted out (gee thanks home inspector for catching that :rolleyes:). I'm thinking I'll seal the chimney crown and install a liner.

My four big questions are:
1. Do I need to seal the original vents?
2. Should I go with a 6 or 8 inch chimney liner? I emailed magnum about getting an owners manual but have not received a reply. I need to pull the insert to verify the boot size but I assume one like this (https://www.lindemannchimneysupply.com/SmartFlex-Insert-Boot) would work?
3. Is the plate in the second picture for a cat? Would yall recommend finding one that fits?
4. From the limited information available, I am thinking this is a FPD 400. Can anyone confirm that?

Thanks! I tried to use the search function as much as I could before posting.

PXL_20221115_060646637.jpg PXL_20221115_060745927.jpg

Last edited:
If you are going to spend the money for the liner and all accessories to make this setup safe I would highly recommend upgrading the insert. I would try to find a good used modern insert or look for a new one, a glass window would be nice for viewing and a new one would be a lot more efficient also cleaner burning lees chimney build up. Also I cant tell for sure in your picture but it doesn't look like much floor protection in front of the stove you should have 16".