Covering the OAK, and outside exhauste pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smalltown

Minister of Fire
Oct 1, 2008
Western Maine
What's a good method of covering these during the summer months?
I had thought of covering the exhaust with a large freezer bag, don't want to secure it with tape that seems like it would be difficult to remove in the fall. Not sure about the somewhat flat surface of the outside OAK.

Many will just stuff a fist full of fiberglass insulation into the pipe.

I used shrinkwrap (same stuff that is wrapped around boxes on pallets) on mine. A few wraps around the OAK and exhaust and you're good to go. A quick slice with a utility knife takes it off come heating season.

I just used some scrap screen and wrapped it over the opening. Taped over the screen not the pipe.

Attachments

• exhaust.jpg
    exhaust.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 128
Tape over bag, not pipe.

I cover the OAK with duct tape, and stuff an old rag into the exhaust pipe. Make sure to leave yourself a note to remove them in the fall

anything to keep the critters out, just remember you have to remove that stuff in the fall!

Reactions: smoke show
This year I tried a coffee can taped to the pipe and I Disconnect my oak at the stove and put plastic bags inside. On the outside (oak) I place mailing tape over the dryer vent screen. Inside my stove/ bin I place newspaper and a container of damp rid.

Status
Not open for further replies.