Coxfire Installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mflame146

Feb 12, 2016
North Carolina
Hey Everyone, I have a masonry fireplace which I had inspected and cleaned last year. The chimney cleaning company said it is in good condition (house built in 1980) and I have not lit a fire in it since.

Recently I bought a used, older wood stove insert to go in it. After doing a little research, I decided to do it right with a chimney liner instead of "slamming". The wood stove is a Coxfire Model 4000, made by Coxcraft in 1981. It has a 14.75x3.5 inch rectangular outlet. My plan is to mount one of these on the stove to adapt to flexible 8 inch stainless steel chimney liner. I'll put an insulation kit on the liner before installing, and use the included or recommended cap for the liner on the top of the chimney. The liner will need to be ovalized to get past the fireplace damper. The idea is to be fully in compliance with UL1777 to make the insurance company and a future home buyer happy.

My questions: 1. Am I on the right track here with what I'm planning to install? 2. Would a 6 inch liner work with this stove? It would cost less, would need to be distorted less to fit through the damper, and would be more likely to work with modern stoves if I replaced the Coxfire with a newer model.

Any other thoughts or advice?

Thanks in advance from a new guy!

Matt

If the plan is to sell the home in the near future I would leave the fireplace as is. The insert is not likely to add any value to the home.

The main reasons I'm installing it are to have a backup heat source for power failures and cold days. I want to install it in a way that I know is safe, doesn't cause problems with our homeowners' insurance, and won't be an issue if we want to sell the house (we're not currently planning to). I guess if we sell the house and the buyers don't like it, we can remove it. I'm not really expecting it to add value to the house.

Thanks for the feedback.

Matt

Ask your insurance company first. It could be that they require the stove to be UL tested, certified and labeled.

Also don't smash the pipe to go through the damper It causes a choke point that reduced draft and is a pain to clean

Hey Everyone, I have a masonry fireplace which I had inspected and cleaned last year. The chimney cleaning company said it is in good condition (house built in 1980) and I have not lit a fire in it since.

Recently I bought a used, older wood stove insert to go in it. After doing a little research, I decided to do it right with a chimney liner instead of "slamming". The wood stove is a Coxfire Model 4000, made by Coxcraft in 1981. It has a 14.75x3.5 inch rectangular outlet. My plan is to mount one of these on the stove to adapt to flexible 8 inch stainless steel chimney liner. I'll put an insulation kit on the liner before installing, and use the included or recommended cap for the liner on the top of the chimney. The liner will need to be ovalized to get past the fireplace damper. The idea is to be fully in compliance with UL1777 to make the insurance company and a future home buyer happy.

My questions: 1. Am I on the right track here with what I'm planning to install? 2. Would a 6 inch liner work with this stove? It would cost less, would need to be distorted less to fit through the damper, and would be more likely to work with modern stoves if I replaced the Coxfire with a newer model.

Any other thoughts or advice?

Thanks in advance from a new guy!

Matt
I don't have anything meaningful to add to this thread. except that my late father-in-law designed and manufactured this stove, my father distributed them in the southeast, and I met my wife of 35 years when I was at the plant in Charlotte one day in August of 1981 picking up a truckload of stoves and saw her walk out of the office. I would love to see a picture of your installation, if you were able to successfully complete it.