Cozyheat's 500 gallon pressurized tank

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
The cost is basically nuts for an insulated tank with some gazintas and gozouttas, but a lot of people will bite because they otherwise sit and plan and dream about the storage they'll never build.. Does it have thermocouples installed?

Maybe a little steep but it is a pressurized insulated tank with gazintas and gozouttas that will fit through the door into my lower level without cutting a hole in the house and has a relatively small footprint.

Seems like it would have to be comparable to a 500 gallon lp tank in weight? I was thinking something like 6" of polyiso board around it.

Give IPS a call in Wisconsin. They built my tank & ship all over the world. I was quoted $4,000(starting price) by another tank builder. IPS built my 720 gallon pressure tank(round) for $1700.00 with stainless domestic coil(3' dia. 2 loop coil). Not sure if they will build a rectangular tank or not. Great people to deal with, Randy

When it comes to maneuvering in tight places, 7ft. long is a lot easier than 10ft. long but I think it's got to be pretty heavy.

A flat bottom would be a lot safer to move though than a cylindrical propane tank.

I figure with this tank, I will pick it up at the truck terminal, back the trailer up to the door, roll the tank down the ramp and across the floor on pipe.

Those cylinder tanks aren't so bad. When Suburban pissed me off, I backed my tractor up to it, through a chain around it, lifted it with the 3 pt arms and dragged it out to the curb.

On sale at $2,795.00. WoW! I thought we all got in to this to save money. Then add on shipping. I paid $150.00 for a 500 gallon propane tank and picked it up myself.

Is this an ASME certified tank? I assume so, because any tank over 119 gallons must be. We sell a 400 gallon pressurized ASME tank for $3000, so this would seem to be a pretty good deal for the customer who is looking for a turn key solution.

I heard ya Chuck. I have siding on the way from the mill and I'm trying to figure out where I am going with storage as my opportunity to cut a hole in the house is closing. I am pretty sure I want pressurized storage. If I don't do something like this that will go through a 36" door, I need to do it soon or it will need to be unpressurized.

Of course, the other option is to cut a big hole and slide a Garn in.

It's tough to build a pressure vessel that shape. It must have a bunch of rods welded across, and a fairly heavy thickness metal to keep it together. A round or cylinder shape is much stronger shape. Consider an egg shell.

hr

Are you thinking that it will eventually fail? And sooner than round? I would like to get many decades out of whatever I do. Maybe its worth cutting a hole in the house and sliding one of these in while I still have the chance?

http://ahona.com/prod_waterstorage.html

An egg shell withstands a lot of pressure from the outside, but very very little from the inside (or else that chick couldn't get out). Consider the direction that a dam is curved- convex toward the force applied.

(having sharp corners does set up certain stresses, mfg issues, etc in the square vessel- but the arch is a strong structure from one direction of force)

in hot water said:
It's tough to build a pressure vessel that shape. It must have a bunch of rods welded across, and a fairly heavy thickness metal to keep it together. A round or cylinder shape is much stronger shape. Consider an egg shell.

hr

Status
Not open for further replies.