Q&A Crack in my stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

We have recently purchased an antique wood-burning stove that needs some restoration. I have already found answers for rust and paint on the Hearthnet but I couldn't find a good answer on cracks. The stove has a small, hair-line crack about 4 inches long on the back. Can this be welded? Should this be welded? Are there any other products or solutions we should know about? I would also prefer to keep the stove a nice as possible so cosmetics is a concern. Thank you

Answer:

It would be best NOT to weld such a crack. You could use black furnace cement ro patch it from the inside, outside or both. Then you could paint over the cement if needed.

Cast-Iron does not weld well, and the quality of cast in an old stove like this might make things even harder.

A lot depends on if you desire to actually burn the stove. Even then, I might leave such a hairline crack alone until if/when it gets larger.

Status
Not open for further replies.