Crack in stove...how to test?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MagdalenaP

Burning Hunk
Nov 10, 2018
Tilbury, ON
My stove overfires when heated up (after an hour), even when the air is shut down all the way.
The door passes the dollar bill test.
The fire will go almost out when the air is shut down down, within 10 minutes of lighting. (aka, cold stove)

I'm assuming steel expands when heated up, twists, etc. So perhaps this crack "grows" when the stove is ultra hot...right?

Is there a way to test the stove to figure out where this crack could be? I'm thinking cover the glass, flashlight or...ideas?

I would think you're probably closing the air down too late. Even a fully "closed" air supply isn't generally all the way closed.

My stove overfires when heated up (after an hour), even when the air is shut down all the way.
The door passes the dollar bill test.
The fire will go almost out when the air is shut down down, within 10 minutes of lighting. (aka, cold stove)

I'm assuming steel expands when heated up, twists, etc. So perhaps this crack "grows" when the stove is ultra hot...right?

Is there a way to test the stove to figure out where this crack could be? I'm thinking cover the glass, flashlight or...ideas?
Are you taking stove top and/or pipe temperature?

Reactions: black smoke signals
A cigarette or incense stick around the door will show any leak by sucking the smoke stream into the door.

I'd suggest blocking the outlet somehow and then burning a few pieces of newspaper in the stove. It will smoke up the house a bit though. I've always done it with new stoves before I bring them into the house for installation. You're in good shape if the smoke only comes out of the stove inlets. I've also seen leaks at gaskets and seams, even in new stoves.

@Ctwoodtick asks a good question. Perhaps you should explain why you think your stove is overheating.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Another consideration is to inspect the door glass gasket closely.

Have you gotten a straight edge yet?

It seems like you are looking for easy solutions to your issue, but I don't know that there will be any. Perhaps the stove is fine and it's all technique related. Have you called a WETT certified installer?