Cracked baffle - Mt. Vernon AE Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetsncheese

Jan 2, 2009
Southern NH
We noticed in the spring that there is a hairline crack in the baffle on our Mt. Vernon AE Insert. Apparently, cracked baffles are not too uncommon. Does anyone know if QuadraFire has redesigned, or has plans to, the cracked baffle issue? Our dealer is saying we can bring it in and swap it for another one (has a five year warranty - ours is 10 months young) but we'd rather swap it with one that has less of a chance of cracking. Thoughts?

I have heard that this is a common issue with the Mt. Vernon AE as well, but haven't heard if it was redesigned. I'll be interested to hear the responses.

I had some major issues with our Mount Vernon AE baffle. Large chunks were falling off, it was cracked in two places, and riddled in rust. I got the baffle swapped out and for a short period of time I had both of them (before I returned the defective one). I was able to look at them side-by-side and indeed did see many differences

Check out this thread (specifically my last post; sorry no pictures):
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/42478/P22/

sweetsncheese said:
no pane said:

Hmm...I didn't see a redesign mentioned in the link you posted. Am I missing something?
copied and pasted from first link i guess it says they are redisigning not redesigned although that was almost 2 yrs ago:

ya, it's a design flaw. those tabs on top are just there for when they make em. they are supposed to be redesigning them. glad you got a good dealer standing behind you.

I had a hairline crack which was promptly replaced. The dealer said he's been through quite a few(this was march of last season) and that the one I wasn't getting was the same design and would probably do it again...thank goodness for the 5year warranty!

maineheat said:
I had a hairline crack which was promptly replaced. The dealer said he's been through quite a few(this was march of last season) and that the one I wasn't getting was the same design and would probably do it again...thank goodness for the 5year warranty!

I had mine replaced in October and its date stamp was June or July.... can't remember right now. I can check next cleaning.

In any case, my baffle was different. The stove was installed Nov. 08 but I never checked what the original baffle was stamped.

So far no problems but it has only been installed for a month... I'm sure I'll find out soon enough if this baffle begins to fail after about 5 tons are thrown at it this winter.

The major change I noticed is the old ones the chute coming out was touching the fire pot, on the new ones there is a gap here. Possibly so much heat was transferring from the pot it was causing the cracks?

Any cracking on the little tabs up on the top area are a non-issue and not replaceable under warranty, but a crack through the middle (usually around the diamond) would be covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.