Cracked Baffle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich_CT

Mar 14, 2008
Western CT
This past weekend I decided to clean out the SS chimney liner for my insert (Quadrafire 31001). All went well, except for my discovery that the fiberboard baffle is cracked. Will I be able to use the insert with a cracked baffle or would it be wise to replace it? I've attached a picture.

Thanks in advance,
Rich

Attachments

• cracked baffle.jpg
    cracked baffle.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,499
Rich I'm pretty sure I read here that QF will replace the baffle but you have to go through your dealer to make it happen.

While I'm no expert I wonder if furnace cement would get that crack through a season? anybody ever try that, thanks?

Contact your Quadrafire dealer asap to get the ball rolling on an inspection and replacement.

Also looks like that rear secondary burn tube may be warped?

Thanks to all, the for the responses. I spoke to the dealer today. They asked me to bring the baffle in and their "warranty" person would look at it and advise whether it would be replaced under warranty or if I would have to order & pay for replacement.

I'm sure I will not be too pleased if I have to pay for a new baffle. The insert was installed in late February, so only has been used for about 2 months.

Just in case I do have to pay for a replacement, I searched online and found one dealer (woodheatstoves.com) that lists Quad replacement parts. The baffle (p/n 831-1800) is listed for $68. Not an outrageous sum but wondering if I can find a cheaper source for fiberboard baffle... just in case.

re. Todd's comment that the rear secondary tube looks warped. It sure does looked warped in the picture. I put a straight edge on all the tubes and they're as straight as they can be.

I'll visit the dealer on Friday and will post an update here to let folks know how I made out.

Thanks again for the help, time to go out and split some wood!

Rich

My baffle in the 4300 looks exactly like yours; crack and all. I noticed it last year, but continued to burn without a problem. I really oughta check into a replacement, but I haven't even cleaned the chimney from last year, sooooo.....

Chris

A single crack is not a big deal, the insulation blanket on top keeps it together. If chunks start falling off then you definitely need a new one. It does state in warranty for the stoves that the baffle board is limited lifetime warranty. I do not remember seeing any sort of exclusions to that warranty either. I don't know how you dealer is going to determine if it is warranty or not, give it a lie detector test? I mean... either you took it out and busted it over your knee, or it broke on its own.

I brought the baffle to the dealer today. They confirmed that the baffle is covered under warranty. They completed the warranty claim form while I was in the store and told me that they'd call me when the new baffle came in... hopefully in a couple of weeks.

Rich

Rich_CT said:
I brought the baffle to the dealer today. They confirmed that the baffle is covered under warranty. They completed the warranty claim form while I was in the store and told me that they'd call me when the new baffle came in... hopefully in a couple of weeks.

Rich

Kudos to Quad. If one of mine cracks I have to reach for my wallet. The way it is going mine will deteriorate away before they crack.

jtp10181 said:
A single crack is not a big deal, the insulation blanket on top keeps it together. If chunks start falling off then you definitely need a new one. It does state in warranty for the stoves that the baffle board is limited lifetime warranty. I do not remember seeing any sort of exclusions to that warranty either. I don't know how you dealer is going to determine if it is warranty or not, give it a lie detector test? I mean... either you took it out and busted it over your knee, or it broke on its own.

Speaking of that blanket....I find that it is much longer than the board in the back. I folded it over so it won't interfere with the seal of the board to the back of the stove. It's tough to see above the board while sliding it into place.

How is it supposed to be? I don't think I should just trim it smaller.

QF manual doesn't address this.
Thanks

The board fits up tight against the metal tube going around the edge and the blanket overlaps that to seal the edge. It is supposed to be bigger.

I just wanted to complete this story. I picked up the replacement baffle today. It took just under 3 weeks to complete the warranty claim.

Good timing, it's starting to feel a little chilly around here. :cheese:

Rich

Not to change the topic but while on baffles and blankets... I took mine out last year and the blanket corner actually tore. It's about a 6 inch triangle piece I just put it all back in best I could and burned last year. Do you all think that's something to change? thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.