Q&A Cracked flue tiles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have recently purchased an older home built approximately 1939. It has a masonry fireplace. I have recently had it swept for the 1st time and they revealed to me a crack in the flue tiles. I wanted to convert the fireplace to gas logs. Do I need to have a liner installed? I asked the sweep to check into this, but they only sent me a bid for a liner to replace the cracked tiles. I also seem to be confused about the vented vs vent free logs. I do not want to use as primary heating, but do not see the point w/out some heat being provided to the room? Please help with any further advice. Thanks for your time.

Answer:

Virtually all clay fireplace tiles have cracks in them, a problem which is often not a big deal...especially with the use of gas logs.

If you do not mind the fire not being as realistic, you can install vent-free logs and use them with the damper opened most of the time. This will still provide some room warmth.

Status
Not open for further replies.