Cracked glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanD

Dec 5, 2005
Last night I loaded the stove and when I closed the door the glass hit a log and cracked. There are several cracks that radiate from the point of impact (on the right edge of the glass) to the left edge. There are no holes or openings in the glass - it's kind of like a crack in your windshield. I plan to order replacement glass Monday morning. My question is what to do in the meantime. Continue to burn or shut it down till the new glass arrives? I'm worried that if the cracks turn into a hole I will overfire the stove.

If it was me I would try to run it as normal and watch for changes in the glass. Watch for any hole that would fan the fire too. It probably won't happen. if it does, I would just run it with the door open. That will slow down the fire.

My .02 would be to shut it down. The cracked glass (ceramic) could go at any time for no apparent reason. (there is no inner plastic lamination or other safety feature to keep the cracks from spreading like a true windshield) If you are like me, you could set there and watch is 23.95 hours a day and the 5 seconds you turn your back is when it would go off. If you are desparately relying on the stove for heat, you may consider making a plate out of steel as a temporary fix.

Corey

It is an Englander 28-3500. Actually a wood furnace. It has a thermostat-controlled blower that kicks on when the air in the plenum hits 125F. I suspect if the glass broke and the fire got very hot the blower would keep the unit's temperature in a safe area by constantly blowing the hot air into the house. A little nervous about testing that theory when I am not at home. Think I will burn when I am here and let the fire go out when we go to work tomorrow.

Definately no unattended use. Good luck on getting the glass in soon.

Cozy, read your answer, was laughing my ass off. Murphy watches over you too, huh?

Joshua

Status
Not open for further replies.