Cracked jotul 500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Cast iron can be welded, but it takes special technique, and some experience with cast iron. It is usually not a permanent fix, but it may get you some time, while awaiting a replacement from Sweden.

Why the duplicate post, on this subject?

Yes, welding cast iron it tricky. You might see if there is an auto/truck welding shop that knows their stuff. But first, inspect the stove thoroughly for other problems. Cracking of the top is not so common. Look for other signs of stress like cracks in the base around the grate area and inspect around the flue collar.

PS: Jotul's come from Norway, but Jotul Maine stocks a lot of parts.

Good point, begreen. A cracked top is a good indication this stove was run pretty damn hard, or possibly abused.

Reactions: begreen
Yes, welding cast iron it tricky. You might see if there is an auto/truck welding shop that knows their stuff. But first, inspect the stove thoroughly for other problems. Cracking of the top is not so common. Look for other signs of stress like cracks in the base around the grate area and inspect around the flue collar.

PS: Jotul's come from Norway, but Jotul Maine stocks a lot of parts.

They actually moved I believe all of their manufacturing to Maine now!

Last I knew the cast iron stoves were being made in Norway and shipped to Maine for assembling . . . some of the steel stoves were being made right here in Maine.

Last I knew the cast iron stoves were being made in Norway and shipped to Maine for assembling . . . some of the steel stoves were being made right here in Maine.

You are right I just looked it up. The beginning of the press release I found said all stoves will be manufactured in Maine. Then at the bottom it says they will still be importing all cast iron parts to be assembled in Maine.

Kinda strange verbiage if you ask me.

But sorry to derail the thread op

IIRC Casting is done in Norway and most world distribution is from there. Jotul is a huge company selling a ton of stoves. Maine builds the steel stove bodies for stoves and inserts and is now the assembly point for castings from Norway for the US market.