Crackling wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jeffm1

Feeling the Heat
Jun 15, 2015
-
I went out yesterday and found some Douglas fir to cut in the forest with my permit. Some of it was dead and down in a shady spot and had been there for some time so that some sections had just started to get punky under the bark but only about an inch deep with the rest still solid. When I got home and split it the bark fell off so it got full exposure to air and sunlight. The trapped moisture started cooking off so fast I guess that you could hear the wood crackling and popping there in the sun. It almost sounded like it was burning (almost, but not quite that much) Anyone ever experienced this before? It sure illustrates the point how getting it CSS speeds up seasoning as opposed to leaving it in log form or even in rounds. I'm sure the bark being off had a lot to do with it too. Bark is like plastic wrap to a tree.

I've never seen it dry quite that fast. I know taking the bark off of tulip pillar takes several months off of drying time.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk