Craigs List users - How do you Phone Authenticate?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

granpajohn

Minister of Fire
Jul 13, 2007
Central Maryland
I don't know which forum to post this in, but there are a lot of CL afficianados on Hearth, so...

1. I've successfully listed before, but not in Furniture for Sale.
2. It told me that a listing such as this requires Phone Authentication. (Fair enough)
3. In said process, I'm supposed to give it a phone number, and then within 5 minutes, it calls the number and gives me a code to put in.
4. The first number is rejected because it is IOP. The next number, (cell) was rejected for calling too often, but after waiting a while, it actually did ring the phone, (from California). Unfortunately, all I got was dead silence. No secret code.
5. I used the Help message feature 3 times. Got a generic answer once. Otherwise useless.

Anybody know how to defeat this problem?

BTW...I listed my furniture ad on Ebay Classifieds. Worked pretty well. But no callers yet.

CL has never asked me for phone authentication. Are you sure you weren't just scammed?

Shari

nope no phone/no codes here either. Just an email that you have to receive to do the final post.

I have listed many things on C/L in numerous categories. Have never once been asked to do any type of phone verification

Well it looks real, (I'm afraid).
the site is accounts.craigslist.org. (lemme know if that's wrong)

A google search turned up this among many articles about it.: http://www.a1articles.com/article_1389469_15.html

Supposed to only be done one time.
I'll keep checking.

Edit: It seems to have worked this time. Got a machine generated voice call that gave me the code and told me not to share it with anyone. I entered the code and everything went fine.
(So, um, anyone interested in buying some used furniture? Priced for quick sale.)

I've done the phone confirmation. It was quite simple and legit....

For future reference; it looks like VOIP phone numbers are not accepted, nor are toll free. If it hadn't been for my wife's cell phone number, I wouldn't have been able to do it. And, that didn't even go through until the third try; I assume because the cell is unreliable.
And I agree... the account is running faster and better now.

BTW...If you ever use FreeCycle, (are they still in business?), I found them quite difficult to do also. This was a few years ago, but they would only say that I was not qualified.

Freecycle is ok but hard to work with sometimes - which is why there are the equivalent in Yahoo ReUseIt groups for areas...

Status
Not open for further replies.