Craigslist entertainment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
now that is funny . . great laughs to be had on craigslist, someone suggested an RSS feed so I gotta figure that out now . .

Ok, time for me to put my own ignorance front and center. What is an RSS feed and how do you set it up

jpl1nh said:
Ok, time for me to put my own ignorance front and center. What is an RSS feed and how do you set it up

not entirely sure but here is the quote . ..
Blkbeard said:
I have added the RSS feed from Craigslist for my area and added that to my iGoogle startpage then when anything new comes up with my filter I see it realtime.

maybe Web will weigh in . . he's probably like one of those guys oughta the Matrix that has ten computers and dreams in computer code

RSS stands for "Really Simple Syndication", and it is the future of online publishing.

It uses XML to create what amounts to a special type of file or web page. XML (extensible markup language) is an extremely flexible language, similar to HTML, but allowing the addition of custom tags. Tags, simply put, allow the author to "tag" information in the file as being a certain type of information. There could be tags for Title, Name, URL, Item Description, Contact email address, etc... Being able to create any tag necessary to describe the information in the file is what makes XML so powerful.

RSS feeds can be updated easily, and are usually updated automatically by software, in order to allow easy publishing of frequently updated information. These could be blogs, news headlines, podcasts, classified ads, or just about anything. The great thing about RSS is that you can use client software to automatically download content from an RSS feed.

I subscribe to a number of podcasts (note, podcasts do not require an iPod). I enter the URL of a RSS feed into my podcast downloader (usually called an aggregator) in order to subscribe to a certain feed. It then automatically checks for new episodes and downloads them for me so that I can put them on my MP3 player. Other people use RSS readers to read news headlines, or subscribe to friends blogs to get the updates automatically.

I hope this helps. I'm trying to explain it without geeking out too much. Wikipedia has some more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS_(file_format)

Unless Craigslist offers an RSS feed from their site, setting one up as a 3rd party will be VERY difficult (unless you're a programmer). You will need to write a program that pretends to be a web browser, goes to craigslist, downloads the listings, parses (splits up) the HTML, figures out which entries are new, and then add those to your RSS feed. It is entirely possible that some web-head has already done this though, and if they make it available, could be used to accomplish this task pretty easily.

-SF

I don't know about you guys, but I'm one of those who has always enjoyed "wondering" through the woods. I do some of my best "wondering" there.

You can configure your iGoogle page by adding "stuff" to it. Add the "Reader" and then add the URL to your local craigslist (or whatever you want) to the Google Reader.

At the bottom of each page on Craigslist is an orange RSS button. This goes to a link like http://providence.craigslist.org/zip/index.rss.
Copy that URL and paste it into your RSS aggregator, iGoogle for example. If you use IE7 or Firefox browsers, they will recognize that an RSS feed is available on the page, and you can add them instantly by choosing to 'Subscribe to this page' (firefox) or clicking on the RSS button (IE7).

Attachments

• rss1.jpg
    rss1.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 271
  • rrsFirefox.jpg
    rrsFirefox.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 277
I just 'built' a bunch of custom craigslist feeds into 'My Yahoo' . .I've had an email account for biz purposes but never used the web page feature. Couldn't have been simpler! even a 'hogwildz' can do it (ok bad joke).

Status
Not open for further replies.