Craigslist find!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rexrules

Oct 6, 2012
Been looking for a year on craigslist with no luck, all of the good stoves sell quick. Just picked up a 25ep with a "bad auger motor" for $400. Included a spare exhaust blower and room blower as well as an ash vac and a full duravent pipe kit that I will most likely sell.

Tore it apart and it looks like it was never really cleaned. The problem turned out to be the vac switch and not the motor. Going to fire it up in the driveway later and install next weekend.

Don't forget to take pictures.

Good deal. After you recoup some cash on the vent pipe it gets even better. Can't beat those deals. Used venting doesn't command big money but whatever you get puts you into the deal that much better. Had a similar deal buying my PC45 used. I was expecting to throw some new parts at it but all checked out and ran. It just ran poorly. Same situation. It had not been cleaned well if ever in a lot of often over looked areas.

Good Luck and post some pics.

Wow that is a good deal. I just looked on Craigslist and I had no idea my Harman stove retains its value that much. There are some really old ugly Harmans out there selling for over $2000. WTH.

Wow that is a good deal. I just looked on Craigslist and I had no idea my Harman stove retains its value that much. There are some really old ugly Harmans out there selling for over $2000. WTH.
I wish. I paid $1,600 on the used PC45 but it was really in showroom condition. Just filthy inside everywhere.

OP scored one for $400 which is a good deal IMO from what I've seen for sale used. What I've seen it's hard to find anything for less than a grand.

Like new 10cpm reduced to $500. The cheap heating fuel this winter is making some not think about next heating season:(

Hello
I found one for $600 that was working so you did better than me! This one had no fire brick backing so I got some to install.
These stoves are tougher on auger motors because they use direct drive for the augers(No Auger Bearings) so you may want to yank the auger and buff it out with a wire wheel on your drill and spray it down with dry moly. Also a high quality Gleason Avery 2 RPM auger motor would be a good upgrade. I also changed out the ash trap cleanout cover screws in the fire box to nice stainless steel screws for easy cleaning so the heads do not snap off! I like the hex heads so I can speed up the screwing with a drill driver!

Here is my pic, let's see yours?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 249
There are good deals out there if you keep your eye's open and are ready to strike. I paid $500 for my Integra and $400 for my St. Croix Revolution pellet furnace. Both were very dirty. The Austroflamm just needed a good cleaning and is the main stove in my house right now. The Revolution was a little bit of a basket case. It was partially disassembled and was missing the burn pot motor. It was dirty and sold as having a bad computer card. Card was fine. Some fumble-butt "stove tech" told the PO it was bad. Probably trying to squeeze some bucks out of the service call. Must have just been guessing at the problem instead of doing systematic troubleshooting.

There are good deals out there if you keep your eye's open and are ready to strike. I paid $500 for my Integra and $400 for my St. Croix Revolution pellet furnace. Both were very dirty. The Austroflamm just needed a good cleaning and is the main stove in my house right now. The Revolution was a little bit of a basket case. It was partially disassembled and was missing the burn pot motor. It was dirty and sold as having a bad computer card. Card was fine. Some fumble-butt "stove tech" told the PO it was bad. Probably trying to squeeze some bucks out of the service call. Must have just been guessing at the problem instead of doing systematic troubleshooting.
Does your Astroflamm have that blue gear box 1 RPM Auger Motor? If so do you like it or did you replace it with a regular one?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 171
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 172
Don, do you have the part number to the Gleason Avery auger motor? I would really like to order one then keep the stock one for a spare.

Now I have to decide if I want to move the pdvc down to the basement or try to sell it.

Gotta love craigs list.

Got both our Whits off of Craigs

Good deal, great to hear when someone gets to save a huge $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ on their stove

Been looking for a year on craigslist with no luck, all of the good stoves sell quick. Just picked up a 25ep with a "bad auger motor" for $400. Included a spare exhaust blower and room blower as well as an ash vac and a full duravent pipe kit that I will most likely sell.

Tore it apart and it looks like it was never really cleaned. The problem turned out to be the vac switch and not the motor. Going to fire it up in the driveway later and install next weekend.

I read an article and shared it on this forum before that 70% of a stove's problems are solved by a good cleaning. You'll see ads on Craigslist from folks willing to pay you "up to $400" for your "broken" pellet stove. What do you think they are doing?

Not 'selling' but 'asking'. Big difference. Even down here in GA, people on Craigslist are 'asking' outrageous prices for pellet stoves hoping to get back everything they spent, it seems. They stay on the list for a month or so and I guess they give up or finally sell it for what it's REALLY worth.

Sometimes you wonder about the logic. Was looking for another idiot box and post was for 30 more for the same new tv at target:(
I got our Ecoteck Elena off CL for $500 and it was used for one season. Needed a good cleaning but it fired up sitting in the -20F garage

Reactions: Peterfield
Back when we got our Whitfields, I decided to buy 3 more Whits off Craigs list and clean and service them.

They were just neglected was all.

Tore them apart, cleaned them well and one needed a Door gasket.

Sold them and paid off what I spent to buy them, plus the install on our two, including the raised hearth.

This sort of thing has made many $$$$$ for folks.

One of the stoves I bought came with 1/2 ton of pellets.

Noooooo, I did not sell them, that was Booty :)

Craigs list is the best thing since sliced bread.

Good luck with that stove . I found a 3 yr old harman p35i with ash vac for 1000. Gave it a good cleaning and it works great

What other medium can one put up a ad, with pictures and have some security and ability to screen who you answer to and for best of all "FREE"

What other medium can one put up a ad, with pictures and have some security and ability to screen who you answer to and for best of all "FREE"

America's big yard sale. I used to like EBay but CL is much better if you know the price points of what you are looking for.

Reactions: bogieb
We got our stove off CL.

$2000 included was all the venting, the hearth, cleaning tools, pellet bucket, 2.5 tons of uncle Jed's pellets,

We priced our stove new and it was over $4500 with the hearth and venting only

That's out of my price range, but still a great deal.

Electric heat was all the rage in this town when it went through one of its larger building booms, and many homes here still use it, including mine. Rates jumped very high this year, families who are still using electric heat are facing bills over $1000/mo. Our CL stove is saving us about $700-800 a month. Cost recovery on the stove, including installation of a high-quality vent, will be done at the end of this month. March and April will be all savings. Hooray for CL stoves!

Recently our central vacuum hose (30 footer) which is over 20 years old now.

$250 NEW from Vacuflo

Bought one that looks like new (Craigs) $25 :)

Reactions: Peterfield
I got my St. Croix off of CL - including hearth pad for $1500. Got a nearly new Craftsman leaf blower to perform the LBT, for 1/2 the price of a new one (and it came with attachments). Most of my furniture is from CL. Given stuff for free - just happy to get rid of it. Sold some stuff on CL too - I was always happy with the cash I got, and the other person happy with their bargain.

Vs the heating oil prices our stove paid for itself the first winter.

I just got my 2005 subaru off CL. The dealers list vehicles there too

Its like the local pawn store chain motto, "why buy new if slightly used will do"

Status
Not open for further replies.