Craigslist laugh of the day.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Step right up. You too can own this great six layer cakestove while you save up for an electric space heater just like the guy who's selling it.

SmartSelect_20181128-203342_Chrome.jpg

Typical Craigslist interaction from earlier. Funny when someone updates their overly vague ad within the time they are NOT responding to you. I dunno if it's funny or just plain annoying and stupid.

Screenshot_20181202-211509_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20181202-211519_Messages.jpg

Have we reached a point in our language where "HUGE" is commonly understood to mean "tiny, plus I lied about a bunch of other stuff"? In the spirit of inquiry, I turned to my local craigslist.

Findings:
  • Do NOT search craiglist for the phrase "huge load".
  • Searching for "huge" is mostly ok.
  • People who describe their items as "huge" seem to be mostly lying, mentally deficient, or both.
  • I have at least $50 million in pinecones sitting on the dirty ground around my house and need to go start bagging them.
SmartSelect_20181205-173346_Chrome.jpg

update - That guy who advised me I'd lose out on free stuff for asking too many questions (like what his address is) a couple weeks ago is still is trying to get rid of his fallen tree. The ad keeps being updated. If I wasn't so spiteful I would've cut it up and taken it by now.

update - That guy who advised me I'd lose out on free stuff for asking too many questions (like what his address is) a couple weeks ago is still is trying to get rid of his fallen tree. The ad keeps being updated. If I wasn't so spiteful I would've cut it up and taken it by now.

I absolutely get that. had one here she had five popular trees to drop you could have it for free if you cleaned everything up. I told her if I took the firewood only it would be free and, if I cleaned up the brush that was gonna be $500 for a whole day of work with the semi trailer and skid loader. One of the trees needed to be dropped from a bucket because of the house. All I was going to do was sell it as campfire wood.

She got pissed off and told me she would find someone to do it for free because people need firewood. I briefly tried to explain that was crap firewood for around here. She was a total b*#%h.

After she talked to two tree companies we are up to $1500 for the entire job. My price now is $500 per tree. Which is half of what she was quoted. When she asked why it went up from $500 my reply was because you acted like my ex wife.

I have a post back up this thread somewhere... guy posted 'free wood on the curb' locally. Texted him and asked for the address, and he said something like he would tell me after work if there was still any wood left, because his wife was watching on the security cameras and people were stealing the wood.

Didn't answer that one. :p

Also, shockingly, the huge bag of pinecones is still available today and still only $40!

Image7640835537856284556.jpg

I absolutely get that. had one here she had five popular trees to drop you could have it for free if you cleaned everything up. I told her if I took the firewood only it would be free and, if I cleaned up the brush that was gonna be $500 for a whole day of work with the semi trailer and skid loader. One of the trees needed to be dropped from a bucket because of the house. All I was going to do was sell it as campfire wood.

She got pissed off and told me she would find someone to do it for free because people need firewood. I briefly tried to explain that was crap firewood for around here. She was a total b*#%h.

After she talked to two tree companies we are up to $1500 for the entire job. My price now is $500 per tree. Which is half of what she was quoted. When she asked why it went up from $500 my reply was because you acted like my ex wife.

That is by far worse than my dealing I just posted, lol. In fact that sounds like a classic Craigslist story.

A few years ago I had an ad up on CL stating I would help haul away blown over trees after this big wind storm we had because I needed the firewood. Clearly stated I would be doing this for free as it's basically a "win/win" situation but that I would only do what I can handle and not be taking brush away. This old lady called me up and told me she had a big Norway maple blow over and to come cut what I wanted. I did just that, and she had a huge mess on her hands. This was a pretty big tree that blew over on top of all sorts of wood lawn furniture and other crap, so to properly get rid of everything would require some actual heavy equipment. Basically I cut everything I was able to get to and haul away, and left. She called me back a few weeks later and left a message not realizing she had already called me regarding this, and said "I saw your ad that you need firewood, please come to my house and cut up my maple that blew over. I had another guy out here who took some but never came back to finish the job"

Just gotta love when people try to use firewood as some kind of leverage to get a complete free job done.

I quit doing craigslist firewood unless it is an ad from a tree service. If they post 'come to the job site and take what you want', those are usually good scores where someone else drops and bucks for you. Otherwise it is easier to go into the woods.

Reactions: Chas0218
He also wants an uninsured person to pay for the privilege of doing tree service work.

I guess he will learn why this is stupid either way. Most likely he will get no takers... but it is also possible that someone will come over and drop a tree on his house and/or car.

Reactions: Chas0218

They say Karma's a b%@#ch, or is this more a case of what comes around goes around? Either way guess they're right LOL.

Haha these stories are great. Most of the ads I see around here go something like this:

“Free wood. Trees must be cut down, hauled away, and all brush cleaned up. Must be licensed and insured”

Guy down the road from me posted a while back that someone could come cut down a bunch of trees from his property and keep the wood BUT they had to own a tractor with a backhoe and be willing to do a weekends worth of excavating/landscaping work in order to get that “free wood”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I quit doing craigslist firewood unless it is an ad from a tree service. If they post 'come to the job site and take what you want', those are usually good scores where someone else drops and bucks for you. Otherwise it is easier to go into the woods.

If I had woods I could access around here I would definitely go that route. I'm in the burbs though, but there's constantly tree work being done. I need to start hoarding more in the summer when Craigslist is swamped with free wood though. I rely too much on this time of year for scrounging.

Reactions: Todd67
...but it is also possible that someone will come over and drop a tree on his house and/or car.

Bingo

I’m not a professional by any means but, I do have a business that I can add insurance to for a job like that. People do not understand the liability behind this When they try to get it done for “free firewood”. 9 out of 10 attempts you can drop a tree like that and put it where you want it. That leaves 100 out of a thousand that will cost you a lot of money.

$500 a day for a 60 foot JLG boom lift around here. I can haul it myself and put insurance on the machine and the job and I have a piece of mind. That’s a lot of money for firewood so I have to get my money back or you can pay thousands to a tree service.

There is not enough straight lumber in that tree for a mill. Too many people watched Ax Men and think timber is gold...

A Nissan Frontier load of green alder rounds for $100. What a deal.
Screenshot_20181214-024654.jpeg

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Speaking of people who want YOU to pay to cut their tree down for firewood....

Attachments

• craiglsits tree.PNG
    craiglsits tree.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 471

That's a really good response for these ninnies that want you to clean the brush and rake the yard, I'm going to try that next time. See what kind of response I get.