Craigslist ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JustWood

Minister of Fire
Aug 14, 2007
Arrow Bridge,NY
I have an item for sale on craigslist. Anyone ever get a response to something you have for sale ,like this. I've had 3 responses from 3 different people worded almost identical for the same item in the last 2 days.

"Hello,

Thanks for the swift reply, I want you to consider it sold,Pls do withdraw the advert from CL to avoid disturbance.I am okay with the condition and price of the item and am ready for its purchase.I'll be paying you with a certified Bank Check and the payment will be issue out to you Via Ups Courier service I'll be responsible for the pick-up,while you hold on my behalf. Once you receive this, my mover's will come for the pick up at your place.I will be needing the following information to issue out

the payment......
1.Your full name
2.Your mailing address(Physical)....Not P.O.box
3.Your phone number

** Please note that the payment will be overnight to your address and it will be delivered within 3 days.I will also wait for the check to clear before i have my mover come for the pick up"

My banker a few months back warned me about taking cashiers checks as they can be easily printed on any computer.
Any thoughts. Seems fishy to me.
I did email back to let them know I wood only accept cash for this transaction.

Sounds fishy to me, my wife emailed a job posting on craigslist just to verify the company name address ect.. only to start getting spam.You were smart about replying cash only.

Lee, Thats the typical scam reply. Their check/ money orders are no good. Their responses are always very general because it is a pat response they send out to everyone. In my opinion you should try and waste their time somehow. The more people that waste their time the less profitable it will be for them.

Scammer.

It can also become "sorry, I overpaid , return some of the funds" and they never come for the item, they got cash out of you. Thier overpaid check is NFG.

Scam Scam Scam.....

Just like the others have said. I have had it tried on me more than once. If you reply back and tell them you prefer cash only for your payment, you will never hear from them again. I see them use the term "advert" a good bit too. They must think it is good American slang. Often, their grammar or English will be a little off or weird in some way.

When I first started selling some things on Craigslist, I wondered why some people listed their items in certain ways. I would often see NO SCAMMERS and CASH ONLY in the ads. I now know why, and I do the same thing now. That will usually deter the scammers as they will go elsewhere to seek easier targets.

Besides, if they can afford to pay with a Cashier's Check, they should be able to pay with cash.

They also have ads as well. One thing I know they like to do is list nice looking tractors at ridiculously low prices. It will usually be a compact tractor with nice attachments. I have replied to those just for kicks. One sent me a link to a bogus eBay page where I could pay for the tractor with Paypal.

Face to face, count the cash out into my hand, take the goods. Only then does the ad come down off the list. Period. I'll do CL biz no other way. Rick

Its a scam the cashiers checks are very good copys if you will they want you to cash it so it can never come back on them

Like everyone said, total scam. I inquired about a local car (below market value) on CL and the guy responded that the car was in California and he would only do the deal with an ebay escrow transaction to make sure it was legit. Type "ebay escrow" in google and the first thing that comes up is "ebay escrow scam." They scam for a living. I offered him cash and he never called me.

Scam! In order not to hijack your thread I will start another thread with what I encountered.....

Shari

Scam . . . these folks tend to use grammar that is either riddled with typos, too formal in its tone (i.e. not conversational English as is the case here) and often use similar sounding words improperly.

Not a craigslist story but a fake check one.I work as a mechanic at a local public works,we also get the impounds..Last week we got a van that was impounded cause the guy was actually printing fake checks right out of his van,had the whole shebang..Had like 4 printers,blank check paper of many sorts,tinted windows and power for the stuff...The funny part is is that someone called the cops because he was sleeping in the van in a dunkin donuts parking lot and they saw all the stuff he had.........

Status
Not open for further replies.