Crane Coal stoker w/stuck firepot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paulc

Jan 25, 2016
virginia, us
I acquired an old Crane Coal stoker a few years ago and recently installed it. I notice that the end-plates (part 437) were not installed. I have the parts, but it seems that I need to remove the firepot before installing the end-plates. I've tried spraying with PB Blaster and tapping with a hammer, but haven't been able to get the firepot to budge. Does anyone have any tips for removing a stuck firepot? or have tips on installing the end-plates?

I don't know if you got it free but if not, try introducing some frequencies to it. I use a pneumatic engraver on stuck parts and have pretty good luck. I press it on the stuck upject with about 5 to 10 lbs force for 5 10 minutes at a time, squirt some penetrant, repeat as necessary. Sometime a little heat will help. Then penetrant as long as its not so hot it vaporizes. The penetrant will draw down into it as it cools. I also prefer Kroil to other penetrates but it stinks. I would avoid excessive force as you may break some you cant replace. Time and effort is the best tool for freeing stuck parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.