Crappy Wood???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

propguy

Hearth Supporter
Sep 26, 2006
Well I was not going to say anything but I can't help myself. ugh! I ordered 2 cords of wood from the newspaper mostly cherry.....................it looks like it was a condemed cherry orchard. Granted not all bad, but rotted pcs. knotty short junkie crap pcs. some where not split all the way so I broke them apart with my hands and BLACK ANTS START A RUNNIN!

I know I am new to the site and REALLY HATE TO WHINE but......... $ 450.00 AMERICAN DOLLARS LATER THE WOOD IS ............WELL KINDA CRAPPY!

Should I call him or am I just being anal. I mean some of this stuff [just a few] look like swiss cheese with all the holes though it

What is acceptable in 2 cords for being ....uh ....crappy 20 -30 pcs. 10-15 pcs. 0-5 pcs.

It does burn and is seasoned and at that time thats all I was after [trying to test and break in the new Defiant] but I thought it should have been a little more "select" I guess. Oh well

Should I pick up the phone or let it go hhhhhmmmmmmmm. pg

I am still looking for log lengths so I can "roll" my own

You paid $225.00 a cord .
I just got 2 cords of cherry / oak / walnut for $100 each delivered
Some states have laws concerning cord wood.

I would not tollerate receiving crap Ii would demand clean useable hardwood. You were taken advantage of, time to stand up and demand you money back or get quality wood. He can have his crappy wood back come pick it up you paid witha check I hope get on the phone first thing tommorrow and cancel payment let him have to call you thentell him he is welcome to pick up the junk he left

Sounds like the deal is a bit shady with all the bad wood, and cherry being only moderate good heating wood...and $225 a cord seems really high if it is not oak, locust, or hedge!

I believe you also started a thread about 'log lengths' seemed like it kind of got started with people saying where you could buy whole trees. I guess I always thought 'log length' was maybe 16-20"...the size of a log I would throw in the stove. I haven't read that whole thread, but have you just considered cutting your own?

I figure a cord of hedge or locust cost me about $25 in gas and other consumables. Of course there is a little sweat equity on there, but not enough that I would pay someone $200 to do it for me. If you are already equipped to buck long logs to length, it might not take much more to just go to the source and cut it yourself.

Corey

Yeah, stack it. Anything that is rotten and or punky leave it to the side.....might even stack it to the side. Ants are normal. When I come across them I shake them off the wood and usually stomp as many as I can. What other prices did you see in your paper and area? if this is normal price, you should still expect a good load of wood delivered when you are paying the market price. once it's all stacked and you see how muchis crap then you have a place to move from.

seasoned split wood should be free of ants if it's rotted then it was not covered. and when i use to buy cord wood i hated the small little pieces you cant pile :) now i cut my own logs the way i want and all little pieces that i cant pile go's up to my friends outdoor fire pit for him to enjoy can you post pictures of the pile you got?

thanks
Jason

Yea, post a pic so we can see what your dealing with.
I got two cords dropped last week for $150 unsplit. Mixed hardwood(oak, maple, cherry and some poplar).
The stuff to the right is fresh cherry that my neighbor just dumped for me (for next year). He's got a couple loads of locust for me as well. It figures that the minute I buy wood, all the sudden my neighbor has tons of it for me!!

Attachments

• wood.JPG
    wood.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 570
Dylan said:
You ARE new here. It would help to know where you are located....ya know, it might lend some perspective as to whether you got a fair deal.

Hey It took me a while to get back to the questions.. Yes I AM NEW HERE .
I am located near CAPE COD MA. MAINLAND SIDE. The problem I have is that the wood is ok [period] For that price it should at least be GOOD .

I AM LOOKING FOR LOG LENGTH SO I DON'T HAVE TO DEAL WITH THIS KINDA STUFF[ I am trying to be nice]

Where I am should not matter except for pricing,...............and should not factor in as to what kind of quality I recieved or did not recieve. His delivery was on time etc. [not being a SA just makling that point[

RoosterBoy said:
seasoned split wood should be free of ants if it's rotted then it was not covered. and when i use to buy cord wood i hated the small little pieces you cant pile :) now i cut my own logs the way i want and all little pieces that i cant pile go's up to my friends outdoor fire pit for him to enjoy can you post pictures of the pile you got?

thanks
Jason

Hey R, I will try and post a pick. Thats what I want to do is just cut and split my own.

I have a regular wood guy and he is great, but only has semi seasoned wood. My new stove does NOT like it and just blacks out the glass etc.

I am CLOSE TO CAPE COD, MA. MAINLAND SIDE.

I was ok with paying his price but it should have been a better quality.

George said:
How much is crappy? I'm no expert, but i believe cherry does rot quickly, you might expect some. Black ants probably are to be expected somewhat too. You didn't say how the cords measure up. Wondering if you got full cords, or you just haven't stacked it yet? It's a tough call, but if you feel you didn't get what you paid for, he won't know til ya tell him. If it doesn't stack up, he should at least
make that up. I'd stack it, leaving out the crap, and try reasoning with em for what's fair. This being your first load of wood, good idea to get some idea first. There is that old latin phrase, caveat emptor. Could be if it somehow stacks up to more than 2 cords, maybe you got a deal. Can't tell ya from :blank: here, gotta see how it stacks..

I have not stacked it all yet but the size seems ok. There is just alot of short 8" and less pcs. and quite a few knotty rotted crappy pcs. [not quite sure how to measure that]

Yea this is the first load from this guy.[and the last] Thats why I just want to do my own thing . I want to find somewhere to get some log lengths.

Dylan said:
Where I am should not matter except for pricing,...............and should not factor in as to what kind of quality I recieved or did not recieve. His delivery was on time etc. [not being a SA just makling that point[

WADR, you got a lot to learn, Bud.

Perhaps some on this board will take you by the hand and teach you.[/quote]

It Gary not Bud . But thanks for the help . Gary

I'm on the North Shore in MA and just got 4 cords delivered a few weeks back. Out of all of that wood, only 7 pieces were thrown in the trash because of rot. I'd say that was pretty good!

recppd said:
I'm on the North Shore in MA and just got 4 cords delivered a few weeks back. Out of all of that wood, only 7 pieces were thrown in the trash because of rot. I'd say that was pretty good!

Hey R, Do you mind if I ask what ya paid.? I have quite a bit more going in the garbage from 2 cords.

PG

propguy said:
recppd said:

Hey R, Do you mind if I ask what ya paid.? I have quite a bit more going in the garbage from 2 cords.

PG

$225/cd, delivered. 1-1.5 yr. old oak, maple, ash - but mostly oak. Burns the balls!

Status
Not open for further replies.