Creosote on chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jonnykegz

Oct 6, 2020
Macungie, PA
We got a Harman pellet stove installed in our fireplace in our 1st floor family room about 5 years ago. When the pellet stove was installed, a standard-sized pipe (flu) was installed through the chimney with a cap on the top of the chimney. This year, I noticed a lot of what looks like creosote build-up on the outside of the chimney running all the way up the chimney. It's like a dark black stain. Is this normal to happen with a pellet stove with an insert installed in the chimney? I thought this only really happened with regular fireplaces?

Thanks

Can you post a pic of what you’re seeing?

Reactions: jonnykegz
Just took these now.

Attachments

• 20210412_092649.jpg
    20210412_092649.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 168
  • 20210412_092652.jpg
    20210412_092652.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 168
  • 20210412_092714.jpg
    20210412_092714.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 159
  • 20210412_092720.jpg
    20210412_092720.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 151
A pellet stove installed into a masonry chimney should be installed using a stainless steel liner (which serves as the flue). Any soot generated from the pellet stove and stainless flue should not be coming through the masonry (or even escaping the stainless flue itself). After confirming that your install is correct, I’d wonder if soot buildup from the flue cap area is getting hit with rain water and then running down your masonry chimney.
I’m not a pro, so take this with a grain of salt. Others on here will likely have a more accurate answer for you.

Pellet stoves are sooty on startup. Is there a full stainless liner from the stove up to the chimney top?

Is that soot, or moisture related?

It appears to be coming off the roof, down the chimney, and landing on the spot where the fireplace widens.

On the down side of the chimney, it's obviously not coming off the roof in the rain, but seems to be on the widening of the fireplace.

I also see a tree at the top of the pic.

How's the air movement? What's growing on the roof.

Pic 3 is green on the side of the chimney.

Reactions: jonnykegz and EbS-P
In pics 1 and 2 it def looks like that side is coming from the roof. If that’s the case, it would be a safe bet to say the other side is also coming from the roof. But as far as what’s causing it....great question. That’s definitely odd.

It's soot blowing out of the chimney and settling on the masonry and roof. Then the rain washes it down the side of the fireplace. I have rock outside but it does the same thing. If your unit drafts as wells as mine your flue pipe will stay clean for a very long time. I've only cleaned my flue once in 6 years and it's still almost squeaky clean.
Ron

I sure do not like the looks of that and maybe you should find out the exact reason for it or believe like the other posters said running off from the roof or something like that to where it happened to them...clancey

It's soot blowing out of the chimney and settling on the masonry and roof. Then the rain washes it down the side of the fireplace. I have rock outside but it does the same thing. If your unit drafts as wells as mine your flue pipe will stay clean for a very long time. I've only cleaned my flue once in 6 years and it's still almost squeaky clean.
Ron
That makes sense. Thank-you!

Is that soot, or moisture related?

It appears to be coming off the roof, down the chimney, and landing on the spot where the fireplace widens.

On the down side of the chimney, it's obviously not coming off the roof in the rain, but seems to be on the widening of the fireplace.

I also see a tree at the top of the pic.

How's the air movement? What's growing on the roof.

Pic 3 is green on the side of the chimney.
I'm not sure if soot or moisture. Air movement through the insert is good. The growth you see is branches from a nearby maple tree. The green on the side of the chimney is moss which I will clean.

Thanks for all the comments. After reading everyones, I've determined it is probably washing down from the top like a lot of you have said which would make sense because I forgot, this year I was vacuuming out the stove and then thought I'd try putting the shop vac in reverse and blowing out the flu. While I did that, I saw a huge cloud of stuff coming out the top of the chimney which probably a lot of it settled up there and eventually washed down. Never doing that again, I'm going to get a flu brush with the extenders to clean in the future.

Should a pressure washer be sufficient in cleaning the chimney?

thank

Reactions: Washed-Up
Soft (wide spray nozzle) and ZEP purple cleaner in a spray bottle or garden sprayer will work fine.