Creosote Remover - Rutland vs Borax?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Amin1992

Feeling the Heat
Oct 9, 2019
PA, USA
Hey yall. Getting close to another season! Just swept my liner and was good to go - collected about the same amount of creosote as last year so I'm happy.

Anyway, I started using Rutland Creosote Remover which contains Trisodium Phosphate as the active ingredient, I believe. Last year I did a check of the chimney near the end of the season, then started using the product, and could tell a difference when I went to sweep the chimney. So, the stuff does help me with keeping the buildup down and makes sweeping much easier.

I read online that people use a mix or Borax (boric acid) and salt in the same way. I have a ton of Borax around and thought about using that instead as it'd be much cheaper and easier to get a hold of.

Anyone else have any experience? Is it as good? Does it work at all? Thanks

Absolutely do not use any salt in your stainless liner it will eat it very quickly

Reactions: Osage and Jags
Thanks Bholler, always coming in with an answer! I'll just stick to the Rutland stuff

If the stove is burning dry wood and running properly, there isn't a need for additives unless it has a cold uninsulated flue.

Reactions: Osage
Thanks BeGreen. Unfortunately my firewood is typically 20-25% moisture so I do end up getting a bit of creosote in the top few feet of the liner each year. Like to throw some of this in as it does in fact make it flake off instead of acting like tar.

Thanks BeGreen. Unfortunately my firewood is typically 20-25% moisture so I do end up getting a bit of creosote in the top few feet of the liner each year. Like to throw some of this in as it does in fact make it flake off instead of acting like tar.
As you probably know, there’s a big difference in wood that is 20% and 25% moisture content. If you could get a bit ahead on the wood pile, burning stuff that is mostly in the low 20’s or lower would be a huge help and prevent you from having to do anything but a normal sweep annually ( on average).
How tall is your chimney?

Yup totally true! I built some additional racks this past year and I was able to get out more to split.

I typically burn just 0.8 - 1.2 cords a year but now will be able to store up to 1.8 cords ,which will give me a 0.6 cord surplus! Hoping that little buffer helps my wood to dry out a bit more.

Yup totally true! I built some additional racks this past year and I was able to get out more to split.

I typically burn just 0.8 - 1.2 cords a year but now will be able to store up to 1.8 cords ,which will give me a 0.6 cord surplus! Hoping that little buffer helps my wood to dry out a bit more.
That’s really good. Are you able to eventually get up to a a few cords worth of storage? It sounds like a lot if you’re not used to that amount but any concern about excessive creosote will be gone, getting the fire going with wood that is 15-20 percent my will be a breeze and you only have to replenish a cord per year to maintain that. Easy for me to give you more chores but that would really be a game changer.
Even if you just bought a couple cords. That would get you ahead .

I have a related question: I have some gooey creosote which has collected a bit on the back end of my firebox, which I assume is because it's farthest away from the air and I've been doing a lot of slow burns. I have been burning pretty cleanly using my cat so I don't suspect there is much creosote in my stainless steel liner, if any (only see smoke briefly on startups/reloads.

I got the Rutland to help clear up the firebox, but I have a 90 degree to the thimble, which has another 90 up the masonry chimney. If I use it and some creosote falls down and gets stuck in the bends, do I need to clear it out or will it just burn safely where it is? Obviously don't want a chimney fire, but if it's not much I'm thinking it'd be ok.

I think some creosote in the firebox is normal. I even get some in my non-cat stove in the back lower part of the firebox.
Is it possible to just do a sweeping anyway after using the rutland or is it too far into winter for that for you at this point?

I would reread the manual of your stove. My (BK) cat stove manual very explicitly says to not ever use creosote logs (creo mitigation products). They can damage the cat.

For creosote in the firebox,. simply burn a smaller load (half or so) on high and it'll burn off or become flaky enough to brush it out of the box.

I only do this at the end of a season though. No need to do this during the season.

Reactions: ThisStoveIsOnFire
I'm confused how you would get creosote in the firebox. Any decent burn with the firebox at 800+ F for 10 minutes would burn that all off. You would have to burn at low temps many times to get any in the firebox.

I'm confused how you would get creosote in the firebox. Any decent burn with the firebox at 800+ F for 10 minutes would burn that all off. You would have to burn at low temps many times to get any in the firebox.
Mine usually has some in the back even when burning higher. When burning low there can be quite a bit