Creosote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Linda K

Oct 17, 2023
Pennsylvania
We built our house four years ago and the builder installed a Quadra-fire 7100. We have had continuous problems with it. The problem has always been creosote buildup even though we get it cleaned once if not twice a year. We have heard from where it was purchased, you are not running it hot enough and the wood is not dry. Both have no impact. We are burning two year old wood which had been under cover so not getting wet. Last night the creosote on the roof of the insert caught fire. I was about to call the fire department. I shut it down and it finally went out but left me very anxious. I have had a chimney fire years ago and it was very scary. These should be recalled.

We built our house four years ago and the builder installed a Quadra-fire 7100. We have had continuous problems with it. The problem has always been creosote buildup even though we get it cleaned once if not twice a year. We have heard from where it was purchased, you are not running it hot enough and the wood is not dry. Both have no impact. We are burning two year old wood which had been under cover so not getting wet. Last night the creosote on the roof of the insert caught fire. I was about to call the fire department. I shut it down and it finally went out but left me very anxious. I have had a chimney fire years ago and it was very scary. These should be recalled.
We also every week put a Big Stick Creosote stick in as well as Cre-away.

What moisture content is your wood at?

Sounds like ur wood is wet. Two years is likely not enough to dry it, especially if it is completely covered and it’s hardwood. Three years is recommended, only with the top covered. Allow the wood to dry on the sides, leaving them exposed In preferably a windy, sunny area. Buy a moisture meter. Split a piece, then test the moisture in the center of the split piece.

Post a few pics of how your storing/seasoning your wood supply.

The wood could still be damp internally if it is unspilt rounds or if under a tarp with low spots.