Creosote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moterhead3

Oct 13, 2007
Bethel Twp PA
I've finally got to use my Napoleon 1402. I'm using it with the damper pinched back most of the time, and I'm noticing allot of brown around the chimney cap. Maybe this is normal? I'm damper-ed back because my interior temp, and to make the wood last longer. Should I burn hot a couple hours a day for creosote burn off, or continue the way I am. I've got a nice 4 in hot coal bed after 8 to 9 hrs, relights small splits fast.

Is there smoke coming out of the chimney through most of the burn?

This is typical for this time of year. People tend to run their stoves on low this time of year and produce more creosote. Either open a window or build smaller hotter fires til the outside temps get colder.

My flue gases are mostly clear except when I reload wood.

moterhead3 said:
My flue gases are mostly clear except when I reload wood.

It should be fine then. Most caps stay shiny just about as long as it take the first batch of kindling to burn in the stove. Since it is a new installation though it would be a good idea to check the cap and the pipe after three or four weeks burning though to get an idea if anything is accumulating. I check mine once a month during the season and clean'em both in January and April.

What should I look for? Black fluffy stuff OK? Glassy, tary stuff bad? Can a good hot fire take care of the bad stuff? With my fireplace it would.

The gooey black tar stuff is the worst, and I wouldn't build a hot fire to clean it out, you might iginte it and end up burning your house down. Like Bart says, check it every so often and run a brush down a couple times per year. I check mine after burning a cord or so.

A good hot fire will take care of the bad stuff when you get a good chimney fire going. :gulp: If your getting the tary stuff change the way you burn. Or what your burning. That black fluffy stuff tells me you have been maybe playin with the factory min air opening on that napoleon. :question:

N 60. I know you had a bad experience with Napoleon, but I've had about a 4 day 24hr burn, mostly ash and locust, minimum damper, I love it. Lots of heat, very little wood. ( compared to my fire place )

Cool. Thought ya had a creosote problem. Thats All. I liked the look of my Nap and the flame pattern to boot. I experienced what you were askin about.
Wanted to help. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.