Crown/Mortar condition

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tabner

Feeling the Heat
Jan 17, 2019
Eastern CT
The more time I spend on this forum (which is a lot), the more issues/concerns I find! :)
I have a couple questions about the crown on my chimney (which I had previously not been paying attention to).
First, does this need some TLC?
Second, if it does, is the custom stainless chimney chase cover from Rockford an acceptable solution?
I really don't want to hire anyone given the inflated cost of things right now, combined with the general incompetence of every chimney/stove "expert" I've talked to in my area. Although I feel like recrowning is probably something I could handle, I really don't have the time right now.
I'm wondering, if it does need repair, if I could break off the cracking mortar, order a custom cover from rockford, high temp silicone and some tapcons, and call it good for the next 5 years or so?

IMG_0026.jpg IMG_0025.jpg IMG_0024.jpg IMG_0023.jpg IMG_0022.jpg IMG_0021.jpg

Yes, that looks like someone blew their nose on it and ran. A stainless top cap would work.

Reactions: tabner
The more time I spend on this forum (which is a lot), the more issues/concerns I find! :)
I have a couple questions about the crown on my chimney (which I had previously not been paying attention to).
Second, if it does, is the custom stainless chimney chase cover from Rockford an acceptable solution?
I really don't want to hire anyone given the inflated cost of things right now, combined with the general incompetence of every chimney/stove "expert" I've talked to in my area. Although I feel like recrowning is probably something I could handle, I really don't have the time right now.
I'm wondering, if it does need repair, if I could break off the cracking mortar, order a custom cover from rockford, high temp silicone and some tapcons, and call it good for the next 5 years or so?

View attachment 283293 View attachment 283294 View attachment 283295 View attachment 283296 View attachment 283297 View attachment 283298
If you are just looking for a short term fix. Get you some mortar mix (S type) at a minimum. Go up and chisel/hammer off the “rotted” cap without cracking bricks or flue. Then recap it with the mortar. This will not last nearly as long as a properly poured concrete crown but will be the cheapest and easiest option till you can construct a proper crown. I just redid my chimney crown but created a form around it with 2x6’s and poured it with fiber reinforced concrete. Most masons in time past used mortar (just like yours) and it doesn’t hold up to freezing and thawing cycles on a flat surface.

If you decide to mortar patch the top or to pour a crown be sure to leave a gap around the flue tile for expansion and movement.

Thank you all for the input. Is there a downside to the stainless cap?
I do think I could handle the concrete crown, but my limiting principle right now is free time. The stainless cap from Rockford is 160$, and it seems to me (as long as there are no surprises) I should be able to complete the project in less than an hour - chip off the existing, hit it with silicone, tapcon down the new cap.
Other than personal taste with regard to the aesthetic, is there a downside to the stainless?

View attachment 283293 View attachment 283294 View attachment 283295 View attachment 283296 View attachment 283297 View attachment 283298
That definitely needs attention. It’s actually a pretty small crown. A mason would be best for that work, not necessarily a chimney/stove guy. It prob wouldn’t be that much at all. I had mine done about two years ago. I was shocked at how cheap it was. I even had to replace some bricks and had the chimney re-tucked.

That definitely needs attention. It’s actually a pretty small crown. A mason would be best for that work, not necessarily a chimney/stove guy. It prob wouldn’t be that much at all. I had mine done about two years ago. I was shocked at how cheap it was. I even had to replace some bricks and had the chimney re-tucked.
Most masons here do a half assed job of it. No expansion joint no bond break no drip edge etc. Yes they are cheaper. But they crack quickly because there is no expansion joint

We do have good masons but they won't touch anything that small honestly

Last edited:
I do think I could handle the concrete crown, but my limiting principle right now is free time. The stainless cap from Rockford is 160$, and it seems to me (as long as there are no surprises) I should be able to complete the project in less than an hour - chip off the existing, hit it with silicone, tapcon down the new cap.
Other than personal taste with regard to the aesthetic, is there a downside to the stainless?
There is nothing wrong with stainless I just think a poured crown does a better job protecting the chimney and stabilizing the top.

If you do stainless take the old clay liner down flush and get a cover with a 6" top plate integrated. Much less chance of leaks

Most masons here do a half assed job of it. No expansion joint no bond break no drip edge etc. Yes they are cheaper. But

We do have good masons but they won't touch anything that small honestly
I can’t blame them. A lot of hassle for a small job. Mine actually did a decent job, IMO. It was a week long job. Rebuilt the top half of the chimney, new crown, grinder out all the old brick mortar and repointed everything. Acid washed the entire chimney and sprayed with siloxane. I was very pleased. So far so good.

I can’t blame them. A lot of hassle for a small job. Mine actually did a decent job, IMO. It was a week long job. Rebuilt the top half of the chimney, new crown, grinder out all the old brick mortar and repointed everything. Acid washed the entire chimney and sprayed with siloxane. I was very pleased. So far so good.
I think I remember you posting it here. And it did look very good. I don't know why they all spray them with sealer. If it's fixed right there is no benifit

In honesty, it will not take that much extra time with the concrete crown. My crown is very large and it just took a few hours to place the form and pour the crown. Worst part of it was bringing the mixed concrete on the roof.

better late than never. got up there and redid this today. removed the cap, chipped off the old broken crown, installed stainless crown from Rockford chimney, four tapcon screws into the brick to hold it, hit everything with some caulk. Thanks for the help/input from all.
(yes, i know there's some creosote on that liner and cap, damp wood second half of this year, going to make improvements going into next year in wood storage and burning technique)

IMG_1098 (1).jpg
IMG_1099.jpg