Crumbling Back Fire Brick ... Advice needed..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
Just poked the fire to help settle down for a coal bed tonight, and this happened..... look past the fire to the back of the box. Crumbling fire brick.

PE Pacific, D1 version. Steel insert, installed in an interior masonary chimney. Can I still run it???

Attachments

• IMG_0197.jpg
    IMG_0197.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 225
hard to tell from the pic but its mild out, let it go out and get a replacement.

Just poked the fire to help settle down for a coal bed tonight, and this happened..... look past the fire to the back of the box. Crumbling fire brick.

PE Pacific, D1 version. Steel insert, installed in an interior masonary chimney. Can I still run it???
Yes, you can keep running it. When the stove cools down, remove that brick and swap it with one not wearing as much. Maybe one from the floor? Rear bricks tend to go first. It's where I got my first cracked brick. We need to be gentler slamming in wood in a hot stove.

Can I run it on "low simmer" for the next 2 - 3 days, then work on changing the bricks out?

I have left overs from a box I bought 2 years ago, should be enough :)

Can I run it on "low simmer" for the next 2 - 3 days, then work on changing the bricks out?

I have left overs from a box I bought 2 years ago, should be enough :)
Yes, that'll be ok.

Reactions: Dix
Yes, our stove is the same age and it has a couple cracked bricks now. I will be swapping them out with floor bricks during the summer.

I'm going to try to hold off until spring. After this weekend, we're back in the 50's during the day, and 30's at night..

The last time I did bricks, the baffle was down. It was a lot easier to do.

I also packed the empty space with ash ;)

Last edited:
Update on this.

I'm noticing dirtier door glass. Going down to 15F tonight.

Firewood is mix of hardwoods, varying from 1 - 2 years CSS, depending on species. Supplementing with pine 6+ months, CSS, and the small rounds from dead standing for 3 YO pine that I had taken down in December (Man, that stuff is ready to roll !!!! :) )

I'm adding more pine as I can. Hope to split some of it this weekend.