Crunch time: Which Insert Quadrafire 4100, Hampton I300 or Lopi Declaration?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bonedoc

Mar 18, 2007
Western CT
I know, I know the moderators discourage "which stove is best" type questions, but....

I consider myself an educated consumer and have been looking at these things for months and months. I have logged literally hundreds of miles going to every darn stove store around and have discovered that many on this forum know more than most stove salesmen in CT.

Maybe the fact that these things are flying off the shelves makes them less motivated to actually KNOW SOMETHING about what they are selling.

Regardless....the final piece of the puzzle would be some info from those who have used either of these stoves.

Any thoughts/comments will be appreciated.

PS. Would have loved to make the Jotul 550 or Pacific Summit work but wife vetoed them both...

This is a pretty big spread. Did you also look at the less expensive HI300's relative, the Regency i2400?

It would help to understand what the wife didn't like in the rejected stove and what the priorities are. What is the room size and house sq ftg.?

House is a 3700 sf Colonial; Completely open floor plan(House is essentially one room; upstairs is like a cat-walk)

Insert for supplemental heat only(wife not interested in loading during the day with a 1 yo and a 3 yo)

We have a formal appearing fireplace with a white painted mantle and a polished black-granite surround. Hearth is flush with the floor.

I had thought about a hearth stove but with opening 33" x 39" with wood border at 46 " high I do not think I could make the clearances.

My wonderful but fickle wife wants it to look as much like a fireplace as possible; i.e. big viewing area.

All suggestions appreciated.

As you may have guessed this has been a battle for some time....

Sounds like the issue of clearances to wood trim and the mantel will be the main obstacles. Is a mantle heat shield the main blocker for the Jotul?

I think you would be happy with any one of the mentioned stoves, but I'd probably go with the Lopi or its Avalon equivalent for the larger firebox. Of the 3 mentioned it's the largest.

bonedoc said:
House is a 3700 sf Colonial; Completely open floor plan...
I often recommend installing the largest insert you can fit. Certainly true in your case. For Quadrafire, that would be the 5100. But If you go with the 4100, I think you will like it. I'm not familiar with the others. Be sure to line the chimney and insulate if exterior.

When I was looking for stoves I was thinking of a smaller stove QF2700i, qf3100i, pe vista or pacific. Decided on one of the quadrafire when I went to buy it the store recommended the larger qf4100I put the largest stove that will fit in the fireplace, if you go smaller and you can't get the heat what do you do then. With a larger you get more heat and can tone it down if too hot. I'm very happy with the recommendation of the larger qf4100i, though my house is only 1500 sq ft it easily heats most of the house, I'm playing with fans to get the heat to Kitchen and Dinning rooms on the north side of the house upstairs bedrooms we need to keep the doors closed otherwise too hot to sleep in. Save a lot of money on oil the last 2 yrs is also a great plus.

Good Luck

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.