Cultured Stone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just put pro-line stone over a course fireplace brick...It was not bad. The gouting between the stone was a little taxing on the hands!!! I just looked up a bunch with the same stone to get an idea of placement ( I used lannon stone) and tackled the job. Here it is with-out the hearth stones. It is hard work but it pays off!!!

We've done quite a few of them. Put lathe over it with a skin coat then go to town. It's nice stuff, light weight and the majority of it looks amazingly realistic.

dml000 said:
I would like to do my fireplace in cultured stone. (Owens Corning)
Has anyone installed it?

DML, are you talking about a "surround" for a stove or insert, or an actual built-in masonry fireplace? And are you thinking about doing the work yourself or having it done?

I installed cultured stone on the front of my house, it's not a bad job, kind of fun actually. The hardest part is mixing and matching the pieces to get a nice pattern without big gaps. Kind of like a big puzzle w/o matching pieces. My advice is if you do it yourself, get a cheap "chop saw" from Harbor Freight, I think mine was around $60 on sale. It makes it easy to cut any odd corners off to make the pieces fit. We did a "ledgerstone" style, with a rounded "river rock" you usually have a bigger grout line, this probably wouldn't be an issue.

I'm going to work on my stove surround/hearth this weekend, if you like I'll post some pics of the project as I go along. I need to do a bit of research on a couple of details.

Shane, I'm planning on putting concrete backer board on steel studs for the 1/2 wall "surround" for my stove, this in turn will be covered with the CS. Over sheetrock or osb I know you need to put a vapor barrier (roofing felt), and the CS manual recommends this even with CBB. I don't want to do the barrier over the CBB, since the barrier is combustable. Do you do your cultured stone directly over concrete backer board and lath?

Bri

I would like to try doing it myself.

I have an existing fireplace that is brick with a bluestone hearth which I tore down this week.

Now, I have to frame it out and go from there. I just have to find some info on how to properly frame it out and so on.
Is there a good book that would be helpful?

Brian, that sounds good, I would like to see your progress!

I do anything I can around the house because of cost and quality! When I do projects I put love into the work. It may take a while because I am fussy!

For your situation I'd go without it. I have done it and I know Elk is going to read this and school me on why I shouldn't have but it worked fine and haven't had any ill effects yet. When facing a fireplace we don't put the felt within the clearances required by NFPA, but outside of that we go ahead and do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.