Cumberland 3800 starting issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vital04

Nov 7, 2016
RI
Hello,

New to the forum and pellet stoves. So far I love the value and love running the pellet stove. My family is bummed out that we are not able to run it tonight and have to run the actual heat. But, so happy I found this forum!

I was wondering if someone might be able to give me some advice on an issue I am currently having with my stove. The stove is about 3 years old now.

Last night before going to bed I turned off the stove. When it turned off and only the exiting fan was running I started to smell like plastic/rubber was burning. Checked all around the stove to make sure nothing exterior was burning.

Today when I turned it on, I set it to level 3 temp 3, electric start set to yes. The fire started and was continuing to go through the start up process. The flame was big like normal for startup. At the point that the start up completed, the control panel had an error " no POF click on to start" (no proof of flame) I hit on but nothing happened. I also tried manual start,being that the flame was already lite. The display listed start level 1 but never continues on.

Based on the smell of burning plastic/rubber the night before, I'm guessing there is an issue just not sure were. when I tried to start it today I did not smell anything out of the ordinary.

The research I found points to a igniter, igniter switch or blower issue, but I am not sure.
I also attached a very short video of the start up. The flame is a little low in the video, but may give a clue on the issue.

Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20161107_190705_001.mp4
    165.6 KB · Views: 176
Welcome to the forum! From the troubleshooting guide found here http://www.cumberlandstoveworks.com/CustomerSupport , it could be the ignitor or the air pump. However, if the stove is lighting, it's not the ignitor or air pump. I'm thinking that your proof of fire snap disc is not sensing the fact that there is actually a fire burning so not moving into the rest of the sequence ... wiring diagram shown on page 41 in this manual SMMF3800_Rev080911.pdf

Make sure you unplug when working in the cabinet to avoid shorting anything or yourself! Might be able to see scorching on one of the components to give you a clue...

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the information and the quick response!! I will contact cumberlandstove and order a new one!

I'll update the thread after I have installed the new one. But, based on the design and from what you said it sounds like that is most likely the issue.

Reactions: Lake Girl
Status
Not open for further replies.