Curious about damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrzgrl

Nov 18, 2014
New Jersey
I have a 1979 Vermont Casting Resolute. The manual says open the damper to start the fire and when logs are burning well, close the damper and use the thermostat to control the temp. Works very well. My friend wants to know how the fire continues to burn and heat when the damper is closed and not getting air. All I know is it works. Can anyone explain it so I can explain it to him?

It's good you have the manual. For some discussion, you might check out this thread:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/v-c-resolute-1979-questions.42990/

The damper controls where the exhaust of the stove goes. It does not control air intake. When the damper is closed, the stove exhaust is forced to flow through a secondary combustion chamber which is fed outside air by a secondary air intake, operated by a bi-metalic coil. The idea being, that the temperature of the stove will dictate how much air is drawn in. When everything is working correctly, the secondary combustion gasses are burned off in the stove rather than going up the flue, producing more heat and less particulates into the atmosphere. Some of the models produced a few years after your stove would accomplish this through using a catalyst.

Basically, the fire is fed air by various passageways through the stove. They can become occluded with fly ash after a while, and should be cleaned as needed, but it sounds like your stove is working well.

I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.