V.C. Resolute 1979 Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

swampzr2

Dec 7, 2009
Algonquin, IL
I just bought a house with a V.C. Resolute 1979 stove in it. The owners manual I downloaded from V.C. must be from the newer models, because it says Acclaim, and my handles are in different spots. I have a few questions that I was hoping some of you more experienced guys could answer.

-What is that finger sized hole on the side of the stove (picture 2)
-where should the stove thermometer be placed? With the thermometer in that spot what are the safe burning zones?
-we have been burning some older wood that is starting to get slightly soft and has white powder on it (white mold?) is this safe to burn?
-I am still trying to figure out when to open and close the damper?

stove2.jpg

stove.jpg

stove1.jpg

Be sure to investigate the hearth pad & installation requirements.....you may want a bottom heat shield on that stove. Also check the clearances to the walls, in case a rear heat shield or wall protection is required. Don't assume that whomever did the install has done it correctly.
Also looks like the front of the pad doesn't extend far enough in front of the stove. Be sure to thoroughly inspect the flue and roof top exit before burning.
Good luck.

Sorry to re-start this old thread; just felt i'd piggy back on the previous poster.

My friend purchased a used 1979 Resolute Acclaim and he was looking to put it in his fireplace. One of my main questions is, whether it would be acceptable to cut the legs down about an inch or so lower than they are right now? If this isnt an option, what type of Insert would you reccomend to go in a 26"h x 33"w opening?

This sounds like it may be a Resolute I. The Acclaim didn't come out until the late 80's. I wouldn't recommend cutting the legs. But there are other stoves that may work. I would take a look at the Woodstock Keystone. It has a lower flue exit height and is a thoroughly modern stove. Woodstock has them at a terrific sale price right now. This would be on the top of my list.

Thank you for the quick reply BG, you are always very helpful.

He is working with a low budget, with a house of about 2k sqft to heat. What would be some recomendations for a stove/insert that would fit inside that opening?

tbuff said:
Sorry to re-start this old thread; just felt i'd piggy back on the previous poster.

My friend purchased a used 1979 Resolute Acclaim and he was looking to put it in his fireplace. One of my main questions is, whether it would be acceptable to cut the legs down about an inch or so lower than they are right now? If this isnt an option, what type of Insert would you reccomend to go in a 26"h x 33"w opening?

I'm going to go with a contrary answer to BG for this reason - the Resolute was sold with the option of short legs! In fact, the short legs were quite a bit shorter than the full length ones...my guess is that they were 3" or so shorter. Yes, notice the enclosed - the short legs reduced by 3 inches.

My advice is to cut them as little as possible - if 2" does the job, then cut 2 inches. Secondly, the hearth below must be looked at to make sure the reduced leg height does not mean too much heat radiated down. If the fireplace hearth and extension if very thick (say, over 8"), then you probably are A-OK. If not, you'll want to install a bottom heat shied on the unit or on the floor. This is basically a piece of 24 ga sheet metal suspended 1" underneath the stove. You can easily attach it by using little brackets which fit on the stove leg bolts, etc.

See heat shield in the enclosed line drawing of a Vigilant (underneath stove).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-10-03 at 2.42.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-10-03 at 2.42.39 PM.png
    17 KB · Views: 2,143
  • Screen Shot 2011-10-03 at 2.39.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-10-03 at 2.39.02 PM.png
    6 KB · Views: 5,615
You're right, I got off on another thread and forgot to look up to see if a short leg kit was made for the Resolute.

Status
Not open for further replies.