Curly Willow...never again.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

barnaclebob

Feeling the Heat
Nov 29, 2017
Puget Sound
Adding data to the internet for anyone who is curious:

I had a curly willow tree taken down at my house a week ago and borrowed the neighbors splitter yesterday to get it split. If anyone offers you this wood, charge them to haul it away lol. Terrible wood to split and it smells faintly of horse urine. 14" rounds were bogging his 5.5hp splitter down and most of it just sheared instead of split. I took 3 hard swings at a 2" yes 2" thick 18" dia cookie and it didn't' flinch. I was glad it was only 1/4 cord.

I'll let you know how it burns in a year or two, not expecting much though.

The tree was about 40' tall with a 45 degree lean over the top of some old gnarly fruiting plum trees that I didn't want damaged so they couldnt just drop it. They had to bring it down in small chunks. 5 or 6 guys from a reputable company in the North Seattle suburbs finished the job in about 2 hours and they charged me $1500. They also trimmed up another decorative plum tree nearby. Stump was not ground.

Last edited:
Reactions: andym
Where's the pics?

20200407_152617.jpg

Its the nasty looking stuff.
Ill see if i can dig up a pic of the tree before it came down... heres the best before pic I can find, the leaner to the left.

20180610_164945.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: moresnow
Most trees in the willow family are thin on the BTUs unfortunately.

Yeah, burn it. When you torch the last split, you can toast its demise. ==c