Custom surround or raise firebox floor?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sltshome

Nov 8, 2022
Midwest
Hi all, I'm looking into an insert that, with a four-sided surround, would cover my firebox (three-sided leaves a 3" gap at the top). However, the firebox is flat with the hearth so there's nowhere to put the bottom piece of the surround. I've been told my options are a custom three-sided surround (3" taller at the top) or raising the floor of the firebox so the insert sits high enough to allow room for the four-sided surround's bottom piece.

I was thinking of going with the custom surround, particularly because the four-sided surround covers up a few inches of brick on the sides which a custom surround would prevent, but at the same time, that's going to mean a fairly big piece of surround at the top which may look weird.

Any suggestions/thoughts for me?

Thanks!

This will give you a visual idea of what it will look like with the custom surround.

custom surround.jpg

Reactions: sltshome