Cutting or replacing a masonry pipe exiting a brick wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dave11

Minister of Fire
May 25, 2008
Western PA
The attached pic shows the outside view of a 5 inch masonry pipe coming through a brick wall. This was installed apparently many years ago as a way to vent a water heater. Once the pipe reaches the outside though, it has what seems like a masonry collar cemented over the end, which itself is flush to the wall. The collar is painted red. Not sure if this was a common way of doing things back then,

Issue now is I want to use that pipe to hold a concentric pvc vent. It fits fine, but my question is whether I should cut off the collar and the end of the inner pipe, to be flush to the bricks. I think that's the more modern way, the maker of the concentric vent recommends a metal thimble be placed for the outer end of the vent to sit flush with. That would be hard to do with the pipe the way it currently is.

If so, what would be the best tool to cut it with? The problem is there's no room to cut between the collar and the bricks.

The inner pipe looks to be mortared or cemented into the block wall behind the bricks. Would it just be better to rotohammer that all out, and replace the whole assembly?

All input appreciated.
pipe1a.jpg

I would be doing no cutting of that pipe.. It may be asbestos insulation between the walls of the pipe... You should be able to easily chisel the mortar out from the inside and replace it with new if that's what you want to do. Hire a mason and they would have that out and a new one in place within a few hours...

If I was going to to cut it, I would cut a piece of metal to go around it and protect the brick, then go at it with a grinder and a diamond wheel..

There's no insulation between the inner pipe and the red collar; the white areas in the pic are paint on the edge of the collar. Both the inner pipe and the collar are solid masonry of some type. They feel more solid than clay pipe, they feel like some sort of stone.

Here's a pic from the inside.

pipe3.jpg

May still have asbestos in the concrete layer around it.... not a chance i would be taking and cutting it releasing those fibers.

I agree, would not cut that pipe with any kind of power tool. If you are going to cut it, do it by hand and wear an appropriate respirator!

Just cut it and wear a mask it is just terracotta no asbestos at all.

Shaving cream will contain asbestos if you are worried about it. Foam before cutting.
Good call, that's about what I see the asbestos guys use. Be careful.