Cylinder wood stove for small cabin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xtolekbananx

Dec 11, 2016
New york
Hello, I'm new to this website. I was reading a lot and need a little help. I have a very small cabin, 10x16 with lofts which is insulated with R13 fiberglass insulation. Floor is uninsulated. It is in central NY in the Catskills. It gets cold in here in winter. I want to put a small wood stove and was thinking about cylinder wood stove

http://www.cylinderstoves.com/scout-stove.html

They are made for tents but everything that is small is very expensive, cheapest I found was close to $1000. This one is $200. It is only a hunting cabin and stays in winter are only a few days at a time. I was thinking of putting this stove and 5 inch triple wall chimney with wall thimble. Would this stove be ok for my application? They are rugged and air tight but made for tents. I also understand that the burn time would be like 4 hours but I can deal with that. Thanks for your input. Mike

Attachments

• outfitterstoveonly.jpg
    outfitterstoveonly.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 183
I'll admit,,,, I've hesitated to responding to your thread because of the
It is only a hunting cabin and stays in winter are only a few days at a time.
line.

The things that burn your abode down don't care if you plan to use the equipment everyday, all winter,,,, or not.

With that said, my next main concern is the size of the cabin with any heating appliance..... That thing needs 36 inches to combustibles unless you start building shields to reduce that..... What are you willing to do for something that is just a cabin in use for a few days a year? What's the bigger, long range plan for the place?

In all, without more information, I'm honestly thinking there are cheaper ways to heat this place for a few days a year, than what it will take to make this situation safe for wood burning.

pen

I am sorry but you say it is built ruggedly? it weighs 23 ponds I am sorry but that is not rugged. There is no way I would ever go to sleep in a structure heated by that stove.

Just a quick look on Catskills Craigslist and the were several older stoves in the 2-300 range that would be a far sight better. Don't cut corners. Get a proper install and spend the money or I wouldn't do it. The bad part is what pen mentioned is the clearances. Your gonna take at least a 7ft square out of a 10ft room. I think I would go with a wall mount vented propane heater. For just a few days at a time a 20lb tank would probably last several trips.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.