Damper down or blower first?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KateC

Oct 7, 2006
Arizona
www.flickr.com
Just got the stove this year and haven't had much more than short hot roasties to take the chill out, but may want to keep this one up all weekend. Right now I've got good coals and a few splits burning away with secondary burn---should I damper down a bit for awhile before turning on the blower, vice-versa or does it matter? Might point out that it's mostly 'popple' with a bit of cherry burning.
Thanks in advance.

bugette said:
Just got the stove this year and haven't had much more than short hot roasties to take the chill out, but may want to keep this one up all weekend. Right now I've got good coals and a few splits burning away with secondary burn---should I damper down a bit for awhile before turning on the blower, vice-versa or does it matter? Might point out that it's mostly 'popple' with a bit of cherry burning.
Thanks in advance.

Your stove will figure it out for itself. Just leave it on. The blower is controlled by a thermalcouple and will only come on if the stove is hot enough.

Thank you Warren---that's what I thought and try to do but the Honey insists on unplugging the blower when HE thinks we don't need it, nor does he pay attention to the damper setting before reloading---usually with huge wet clunkers. I have to chuckle at all the guys here commenting about their wives' dealings with the stove while I'm having to constantly shoo The BoyScout away from ours. By the way, do you really heat 2200 sq.ft. with your Ozzie?? Can't wait to see how it does for our mere 960!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.